Friday, May 1, 2009

Sugar Roll Not

This is an overdue post. I baked this on Monday but forgot all about it.

This recipe has been on my To-Do list for the longest time. I do not have any confidence doing swiss rolls as I've heard of too much failure. Yes, I'm not an adventurous person as I do not like wastage.



There are so much raves about this sugar roll and after procrastinating for months, I attempted it last week. I was supposed to roll the cake while it's still warm and pliable but again, I was multi-tasking and forgot all about it! Damn! When I remembered, the cake has already cooled completely and it's impossible to roll. When I inverted the cake onto a new parchment paper, the skin of the cake got stucked to the paper. So I sandwiched the top layer with kaya and what you see here is actually the base on the cake.

This cake is soft and fluffy, I may give it another try but I definitely need an extra pair of hands at home should I attempt this again.


Looking at the cake now, it looks very much like plain white bread minus the crust, hahaha!

Sugar Roll Recipe
Ingredients
4 nos. egg white
80 gm. caster sugar (I use 60g sugar)
4 nos. egg yolk
1/4 tsp. vanilla essence
100 gm. cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
40 gm. corn oil

100 gm. Butter cream
invert Sugar - very fine sugar

Method
  1. Whisk egg white for a while then add in caster sugar gradually. (Need to whisk till soft peak)
  2. Drop in the egg yolk one by one into the beating egg white until finish and continue beating for another 3 mins.
  3. Stop the machine, fold in the cake flour and baking powder.
  4. Fold in cornoil and pour into a 11" x 14" tray or 10" x 14" tray and bake at 200C for about 10 mins. (I use 2 x 7" x 9.5" and bake at 180C for 10 mins instead)
  5. Take out from tray and leave on the wire rack to cool.
  6. Spread butter cream onto the cooled swiss roll and roll into a swiss roll.
  7. Sprinkle some sugar onto a greaseproof paper and roll the swiss roll to and fro until evenly covered with the help of the greaseproof paper.
  8. Slice and serve.

2 comments:

Irene said...

from 1st look, thot it's peanut sandwiches..

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hahahaha! You are right, looks so much like peanut sandwich :P