Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chilled Yakult Yogurt Cake

DH is down with a fever since Sunday and I've been pretty busy at home. He still helps out with doing his routine chores and even bathe the kids but I try to get him to rest more. Unfortunately he can't rest as he's rushing a report and had been working from home despite a high fever. Maybe that explains why he has not recovered and has extended another 2 more days MC :-(

I think my hands are itchy now... itching to bake something... hahahaha! Was surfing the net and found this recipe. I've done a marshmallow cake with jelly layer on top on a few occassions and the kids love it. However, I do not have enough marshmallows today so I decided to try this new recipe.

I don't know why but I just can't get this jelly portion correct. Everytime I make the jelly layer, the fillings will float all over the jelly, making it very messy. I've checked the fillings before spooning in the jelly and am very sure it's already set. Sigh.. I should have left it in the freezer for another 15 mins or so to harden it further. I must get it right the next time I make this (I always tell myself that!! Argh!!!!!)

Before slicing the cake, took a quite peek at the sides and was quite disappointed to see a thin layer of jelly.

But after slicing it, I see a reasonable height of the jelly layer. Think the next time I make this, I should make a thicker jelly layer.

I used marie biscuits instead of digestive biscuits as I don't like the taste of the latter.

Recipe adapted from here
Chilled Yakult Yogurt Cake
Ingredients for the base
80g marie biscuits
40g melted butter

Ingredients for the filling
1 tbsp gelatin
3 tbsp sugar
150ml water
100g plain yogurt
150ml yakult (I used 100ml apple flavour + 50ml original flavour)
1 tbsp lemon juice
150ml non-diary whipping cream

Jello Topping
1/2 pkt Jello
240ml water
2 tsp gelatin

Method
  1. Mix the biscuits crumbs with melted butter, and press firmly to the base of the cake pan. Chill for later use.
  2. Dissolve gelatin and sugar with water. Set aside to cool.
  3. Beat yogurt, yakult and lemon juice until well blended. Add cooled gelatin solution and mix well.
  4. Whip the non-diary whipping cream till mousse state.
  5. Add the yogurt mixture to the whipped cream and mix well.
  6. Pour the combined mixture onto the cake base.
  7. Chill in the fridge to set.
  8. Boil all Jello topping ingredients using very low heat until dissolved. (Not supposed to bring to boil.)
  9. When the cake is set, spoon the cooled Jello solution on the cake and refrigerate again.

No comments: