Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fried Mee Tak Mak (老鼠粉) & Bacon Golden Mushroom Rolls

I was first introduced to this dish by my mother. Actually, I've not tried her version but she told me my siblings, nieces and nephews all love this dish. She told me the steps to cook this but being forgetful all the time, I can only remember 50% of what she said. And afterwhich, I forgot all about this until I saw a similar recipe in Kitchen Capers. This gave me an idea of what goes into the "wok".

I like my AMC pots alot as I don't have to add much oil for cooking. For my general cooking, I use about 1 teaspoon of oil. Not sure if you can tell from the look of this pic, the MTM is not oily at all :)


For sides, we had steamed broccoli and bacon golden mushroom rolls.

I'm unable to give any specific recipe but here is the list of what goes into the my pot.

Fried Mee Tak Mai
Ingredients
Onion oil (may replace with vegetable oil if you do not have onion oil)
Garlic, chopped
Dried shrimps, chopped
Mee Tai Mak
Bean sprouts
Cooked chicken breast, shredded
Chicken stock
Spring onions, diced (optional)

Seasoning
Dark Soy sauce
Light Soy sauce/Fish Sauce (I use either one)
Sesame oil
some pepper

Method
This is my mom's method but I didn't follow as I cook it using my AMC pot.
  1. In a wok, add onion oil to heat.
  2. Add garlic and dried shrimps, stir fry till fragrant.
  3. Add balance ingredients and seasonings and give it a quick stir to mix.
  4. Cook till chicken stock has dried up slightly.
  5. Serve.
Bacon Golden Mushroom Rolls
Ingredients
6 streaky bacons
1 packet Golden Mushrooms

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Wrap streaky bacon over golden mushrooms and use a toothpick to secure.
  3. Bake for 20 mins or till bacon is cooked.

No comments: