Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Banana Chiffon Cake

I'm falling in love with Chiffon cake making. It's something so quick and easy, when you know how to whisk the egg whites correctly. I used to fear making this cake but now, I can do this within minutes. Auntie A used to tell me it's very simple but I didn't believe her. I had my phobia then. But once I get it right, there's no looking back :)

I have this Banana Chiffon cake on my To-Do list for the longest time but I procrastinate as DH doesn't like bananas in cakes. I have some over-riped bananas and with the children coughing, I can't make banana lollis, so I decided to bake a Chiffon cake. I decided to use Rei's recipe over another recipe which has a hydration ratio of 48%. I made this decision because I once tried a recipe with 50% hydration and the cake fell out while cooling.


Can you see the 4 marks on the cake? I used my Chwee Kueh mould to hold the inverted cake cake, thus causing the marks :P


I believe I baked the cake to almost perfect as when I try to unmould it, it slided out of the pan easily and I did not cause much damage to the skin :)


I did not mash the banana too finely and you can still see chucks of it in the cake. Think if I were to bake this again, I may probably use the blender. I find that my chiffon cake doesn't have a strong banana fragrant probably because my bananas are not overly riped enough? I may add more bananas if I were to bake this again.


Packed some for Auntie A to try.


This is for my family.

Banana Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
50g corn oil
130g mashed bananas

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda

*Sift 2x

(C)
5 egg whites
40g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Method

  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add mashed bananas. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 10mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for 10mins. Lift up the foil to check the surface of cake, bake for another 10mins.
  11. Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
  12. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled. The surface will feel abit wet but it will be dry after exposing to the air.

4 comments:

hweehwee said...

hello,

i visit your blog once every few days and now i am a fan of chiffon cake. Thank you for the inspirations. My family are enjoying the cakes inspired from your blog.

Blessed Homemaker said...

hweehwee, thanks for leaving me a comment, else I won't know you're visiting and your family enjoys the cake. You've just made my day :)

Casey said...

I had baked this chiffon and the taste is so great!
Never think that the cake without milk or water can turn out so nice.
Thanks a lot!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Casey,
Thanks for trying out this recipe and I'm glad you like it.