Friday, May 22, 2009

Cream Cheese Chiffon

This recipe was shared by Connie in Kitchen Capers and there are so much raves about it. I later found out that the recipe was adapted from Alex Goh's book.

My good friend SL tried a Cheese Chiffon cake using sliced cheddar cheese and the result was disappointing. I shared this recipe with her and they like this version better. Although I've got this recipe on hand for the longest time, I end up not baking it again. But after Aunty A passed me some to try, I was reminded that I need to at least bake this once. I don't know if it's just me but I just have to try baking it once, at least I can say I've tried.

While baking in the oven, this cake didn't crack on me at all :)

As I was sliding my knife round the sides of the cake, I immediately felt something quite different. When I overturned the cake, it just slide out of the cake pan very easily and there I have it, a big hollow cake at the base! According to Rei's blog, having a sunken cake means the oven temperature is too high. But I wonder why because I've been using the same temperature throughout my previous chiffon cake making and I do not have such a problem.

It is definitely a disappointing sight but the consoling part is the cake is yummy. I will definitely make this again.

Ingredients
(A)
60g milk
40g cream cheese
25g butter

(B)
65g Cake/Top flour (sifted)

(C)
4 large egg yolks

(D)
4 large egg whites
100g sugar (I used 70g)
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Method
  1. Preheat oven 170˚C.
  2. Cook (A) over double-boiler until well blended and thickens. Remove from double-boiler and let it cool down.
  3. Add (C) into cooled down cheese mixture and mix until well combined.
  4. Fold in (B) and mix until smooth.
  5. Beat egg whites until frothy, add cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks. Add salt and sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold 1/2 of the egg whites into cheese mixture, gently with a rubber spatula until just blended.
  7. Pour cheese mixture (step 6) into the rest of egg whites, fold it gently with rubber spatula until blended.
  8. Pour batter into a 9-inch (22cm) chiffon cake pan, bang the pan on a hard surface to release the bubbles and bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
  9. When the cake is cooked, invert the cake to cool. Remove the cake from the cake pan when it is completely cool.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice cake! tried and it taste like pillow cake...very light and soft!

cheers,
twinklestars

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for dropping by and I'm glad to know it turned out well for you :)

Ean said...

hi have you try again? which show the nice outcome?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Ean,
Yes, I've made it again and added fresh blueberries to it. Of course, you can always omit berries.

http://blessedhomemaker.blogspot.com/2009/07/cheese-chiffon-cake-with-blueberries.html

Thalia Tan said...

I baked this cake yesterday and it turned out very soft & delicious cake. Thanks for sharing tis great recipe^^

Blessed Homemaker said...

Xiang Ying,
Thanks for dropping me a note and I'm glad the cake turns out well for you :)

FantasyElf said...

Dear BH, I tried my first chiffon cake the other day a yogurt chiffon cake but it was a disaster! it is exactly like urs in the picture, the top seemed fine but when i unmould it, the bottom centre has drooped down like in ur pic! :( why is that so? i baked it at 175d for 30mins and 160d for 20mins. dunno what to do w the sunken cake, i slice it horizontally and saw some egg white batter and i bake it for another 10mins and the sides become quite brown :(

Blessed Homemaker said...

FantasyElf, I believe the oven temperature is too high. You may want to bake @ 165C for the first 30 mins and lower to 150C for the remaining time.

If you can see egg white traces in the cake, this means you did not fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white properly.

Casey said...

I had baked this cake yesterday. The cake sunk after out from the oven, but I like the taste of the cake, it is so moist, soft and yummy! I will definitely try again, thanks for the recipe!

Ean said...

I used tube pan,ok? When I mix the flour to the cheese mixture it becomes very sticky and hardly move am I rite? My cake texture still can taste the cheese lump ,is this correct?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ean,
Yes, you can always use a tube pan. If you can still taste the cheese lumps, that means the cheese is not fully melted. Texture of the batter should be smooth and not lumpy.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Casey,
Thanks for trying out this recipe.

It is normal for chiffon cakes to lose it's height after cooling but if it collapsed to the same height or even lower than the original height, I suspect the egg whites are not beaten well or you may have deflated the egg whites during folding.