Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cream Cheese Bread - for bread machines

School holiday starts today and this is what I dread most. Imagine having all 3 kids at home, creating havoc! And we're not talking about 1 week affair, it's 1 solid month! Imagine lugging 3 children to the supermarket... I don't even want to think about it. The only consoling part is I do not need to rush to send/fetch both DD1 and DS2 to/fro school. Oh well, life goes on.

I always like to plan ahead as I don't like last minute "fire fighting", although sometimes we don't have a choice. I've been baking more breads lately, building up my freezer stash in case I do not have time for grocery shopping or due to bad weather, we can't go to the supermarket. I'm at least assumed my kids won't go hungry.

This Cream Cheese Bread was first shared by Pure Enjoyment in Kitchen Capers. The recipe yields a very soft bread without any bread softener/improver. I fell in love with it instantly and personally, I prefer this to the Hokkaido Milky Bread which used to be my favourite.

I made this again but this time round, instead of using the usual Philadelphia cream cheese (which was out of stock at the local supermarket near my place), I bought a house brand cream cheese from a bakeware shop. I must say the taste is somewhat "altered". The bread turned out to be slightly oily and has a slight aftertaste. So my advice is, if you want to make this bread, please use a good cream cheese.

Again, I doubled the portion and made more bread as stash.

Topped them up with grated cheddar cheese since my kids love them :)

Do give it a try and let me know if you prefer this bread too ;-)

Cream Cheese Bread
Ingredients ( 1 loaf )
160g water
250g bread flour
50g cream cheese
10g powder milk
15g sugar
3g salt
20g butter
2.5g dry yeast

Directions

  1. Put the ingredients in the bread machine on regular or fast loaf cycle.
  2. Slice and enjoy .

4 comments:

quizzine said...

I've tried this cream cheese bread recipe and like how it turns out! Tks ;-)

Blessed Homemaker said...

I'm glad it turned out well for you :)

jjcht said...

Hi, what is the loaf size that you made?

Blessed Homemaker said...

My pans are 9" X 5" and 9" X 13".