Friday, May 15, 2009

Banana Chiffon Cake II

I had some leftover bananas as the kids were away at my inlaws and no one to finish up the bananas. So I decided to try the Banana Chiffon cake again but I added more bananas this time round. I personally prefer this 2nd version as the cake is moister and tastier.

The cake rose to a nice height and browned evenly.


In my first attempt, I felt that the bananas fragrant were not strong enough so I added another 50g mashed banana to it. The cake is definitely more tastier with more liquid in it but I had a problem unmoulding it. I didn't wait for the cake to be completely cooled, it was still slightly warm and when I unmoulded it, a portion of it got stucked to the cake pan :-( Why can't I wait for another 1 hour before unmoulding? Lesson learnt, if I were to make another chiffon cake with a higher hydration ratio, I need to have more patience.


From this angle, can't tell that the cake has a big "hole" on it :P


I told myself I need to blend the bananas but again, I forgot... Looks like dementia is visiting me earlier :P But this time round, the bananas are finely mashed as I do not see the chucks in the cake :)


I'm sharing my modified recipe here.

Banana Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
30g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
180g mashed bananas

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Baking soda*
Sift 2x

(C)
5 egg whites
30g castor sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Method

  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add mashed bananas. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in lemon juice and beat till soft peaks. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  5. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  6. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  7. Pour the batter into a chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  8. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 15mins.
    Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for another 25 mins.
  9. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for another 10mins or till cake is cooked and nicely browned.
  10. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.

1 comment:

The Little Teochew said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker ;)

Your chiffon has a very lovely, fine texture. Nevermind about the big hole - most impt is the taste, which I am sure is great! Oh, how I love banana cakes :)