Friday, May 15, 2009

Hearty oatmeal breakfast


Rolled Oats

Quote from Wikipedia

"Whole oats are an excellent source of thiamine, iron, and dietary fiber. Fiber is helpful in reducing cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. Whole oats are also the only source of antioxidant compounds known as avenanthramides; these are believed to have properties which help to protect the circulatory system from arteriosclerosis. Oat products also contain beta-glucan, which may help Type 2 diabetics control their blood sugar level, and might also help stimulate the immune system to fight off bacterial infections.[1]"

It's not difficult to have a healthy yet delicious breakfast for the kiddos. My 2 elder children loves sweet oats and my youngest likes savoury oats. I cook this for them at least once a week for breakfast and sometimes if I run out of ideas for dinner, I cook savoury oats for the children. For sweetened oats, I usually add dried cranberries and/or raisins. Today, I added cranberries, prunes and bananas.

No comments: