Monday, May 18, 2009

Crabstick and Cheese Quiche


I'll never expect myself to prepare such a dish for I'm not a quiche lover. In addition, I don't like to spend too much time preparing something so "complicated". When I say complicated, I'm actually referring to the time incurred to prepare this dish. Making the pastry, resting it in the fridge, rolling out the pastry and rest in fridge again, blind-baking, cooling it before adding fillings etc... For a homemaker with 3 kids in tow and home alone, this is definitely one challenging task. I have totally no idea what to prepare for dinner and I hope to try out new recipes for my family, so I decided to bake a quiche.


The recipe for this pastry is too much for my 18cm tart pan so I made another smaller one. I'm still a novice where rolling pastry is concern. The side of this smaller quiche somehow "shrunk" while baking. I guess I didn't lay it properly prior to baking.



This pastry recipe was shared by Hugbear in M4M but I later found out that My Culinary Journal has a similar recipe too.

Recipe
Pastry
175g flour
pinch of salt
90g cold unsalted butter, diced
1 egg yolk, beat lightly
2-3 tbsp iced water

Fillings
7 crabsticks, sliced thinly
60g grated cheese
2 eggs
1 cup milk
some spinach, chopped

Method
  1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  2. Make a well in the centre and add in beaten egg yolk and water until the pastry draws together.
  3. Roll out pastry to fit 23cm (9") fluted flan tin. Chill for 30 mins.
  4. Preheat oven 200°C. Line pastry with a sheet of greaseproof paper. Pour in some beans and bake 15 mins. Remove the paper and beans. Return the pastry to the oven for another 10 mins. or until the base looks dry.
  5. Cool pastry before filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
  6. Scatter sliced crabsticks all over the base of pastry. Sprinkle the cheese over crabsticks.
  7. In a jug, whisk together the eggs and milk. Put the flan tin on a baking tray, and pour the egg mixture into the pastry shell.
  8. Bake for 35-45 mins. or until set and golden.

2 comments:

Noob Cook said...

wow your quiche looks fantastic! It does look like a lot of work, but you managed to pull it off well :) thanks for visiting me, I'm glad to find your food blog with so many yummy eats. I've linked you :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for dropping by at my blog. It's my honour to have you linked up with mine. I'll do likewise :)