Monday, May 18, 2009

Steamed Cream Cracker Cake


While I was at the supermarket last week, I bought a packet of Cream Cracker biscuits as I've got this recipe for the longest time and as usual, procrastinating baking again. Personally, I'll very much prefer a steamed cake over a baked cake. I don't know if there is any scientific proof but I always thought steamed cakes ain't as heaty as baked cakes. Anyone knows?

The original recipe calls for baking in a 7" pan but I baked it in my 8" round and this explains why it's such a short cake.


Texture of this cake is soft and moist but not as fragrant as the Marie Biscuit Cake. Then again, it's so much easier to crush cream cracker than marie biscuits so I'm sticking to this recipe for now. And most importantly, the children enjoy this cake, even dd3 kept asking for more :)

6 comments:

Irene said...

so I guess it's d same method as d marie biscuit steam cake? check with u, i tried d marie biscuit cake & when I tried to cut after steam, d inside is still very wet/uncooked. So I put it back to steam for a further 15mins. is that normal? or because I only had 2 portions, thus too thick to be steam for only 8-10mins?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Method is almost the same but ingredients used are different as this cream cracker cake uses condensed milk and has no rising agent. You want to try?

I understand you halved the recipe but that doesn't mean you should half your cooking time. Try to steam for 15 mins instead of 8 - 10mins. Also, do test for doneness before your remove your cake from the steamer.

Irene said...

well, I did test for doneness by sticking a toothpick into it & it came out clean. So I thot it's done. but when I tried to cut, it's very wet inside..

WendyinKK said...

First of all, thanks for dropping by my blog :)

It's been so long since I made this.. 12 years since I last did this cake. There wasn't any exact recipe, I think it was 20 pcs cream crackers, 5 eggs, and some margarine, I forgot. So long ago....Mine wasn't very tall too when I made it last time.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Wendy, thanks for visiting my blog :)

Winnie said...

hello im a student from malaysia..i came across this cake almost 10 years ago at a school camp but nobody seems to have the recipe..i googled and found your blog..id appreciate it very much if u can give me the recipe..if you dont mind, can u please mail me at winnietanweili@yahoo.com ? =)