Friday, March 27, 2009

Homemade Yogurt



Anyone into yogurt? I'm personally not a fan of yogurt, especially plain yogurt. I only eat flavoured yogurt. It's a different story when it comes to the children.

I made this plain looking yogurt using a recycled glass bottle and omit milk powder since I have none at home (my kids don't drink formula milk).

For this homemade yogurt, I can make 3 batches from the initial starter.

When I first introduced homemade plain yogurt to them, they didn't quite like the taste but after they finished their first serving, they asked for more. Ever since then, I've been making yogurt on a regular basis :)

Sometimes, the kids eat the yogurt plain but I prefer to add it to their fruits. I find that it adds variety to the food that they eat. Here's sharing what the kids had recently.


I couldn't resist buying fresh strawberries especially the ones from Korea!

Add some homemade yogurt to it.

Top it up with some grapes.

And another layer of homemade yogurt. A very healthy dessert :)

Ingredients
2 heap tablespoon milk powder
500ml full cream milk
2 tablespoon yogurt starter

Method
  1. Heat the milk till just warm, stir in milk powder.
  2. Add in starter yogurt and mix well.
  3. Transfer to thermal flask/any container, close and leave to set in a warm place for 6 - 8 hours.
  4. Once set, put the yogurt in the fridge or the yogurt will turn too sour.
Own Notes:
I use 250ml UHT milk + 2 tablespoon yogurt starter

4 comments:

Jo said...

hi, where can I buy yogurt starter?

thank you.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Jo, you can buy from Mustafa if you're in Singapore. Else, just use any plain yogurt, it works too.

shervyna said...

Hi,

Does Yogurt Starter refers to the live cultures powder?

I bought it recently and plan to try making this weekend.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Shervyna,
Sorry I've not tried live cultures powder before, I just used plain yogurt bought from supermarket.