Monday, March 16, 2009

Sweet Bread - Hamburger

I have insomnia almost every night because this question "what's for lunch & dinner tomorrow?" is always on my mind. The question "what's for breakfast?" will surface in the early afternoon.

Having to prepare 3 meals a day is not too difficult but to have variety is a challenge. I hate cooking 3 dishes + 1 soup dish as this means I need to think of more combination. 1 pot dish is my all time favourite but in terms of nutritional value in the long run, is it enough for us? I really don't know.

I always get suggestions from my 2 elder ones on what they feel like eating and I'll see if I can accommodate. DD1 requested for hamburger and DS2 supported the idea. Since I've got most of the ingredients in my fridge (I didn't follow the recipe to a "T") except the bread, I decide to bake it myself.

I had wanted to lay the tomato and cucumber slices on top of the pattie but the burger was too tall and thus making it difficult for little hands to handle. The only option was to serve them separately.




Cheese and Herb Burger
Recipe taken from Family Circle - Kids' Snacks & Lunches
Makes 8 patties

Ingredients

250g beef mince
1 egg, light beaten
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
2 tsp low-salt soy sauce
2 tsp low-salt tomato paste
2 tsp finely chopped coriander
2 tsp finely chopped chives
30g low-fat cheese, grated
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs, extra

Method

  1. Combine mince, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, flavourings, herbs and cheese in medium mixing bowl. Using your hand, mix well. Divide mixture into eight equal portions.
  2. Roll mince portions in extra breadcrumbs. Press mixture into egg rings to give a patty shape.
  3. Heat medium non-stick frying pan. Brush pan with a little oil if necessary, to prevent burgers from sticking. Cook burgers over high heat 2 - 3 mins each side. Remove from pan, drain on absorbent paper.


Sweet Bread
I used Alex Goh's recipe but instead of baking the full recipe, I only baked half (yields 9 burgers). The burger is relatively small so if you want a bigger burger, I'll suggest using 80g - 90g dough instead of 60g dough.

Ingredients

(A)
480 gm bread flour
120 gm plain flour
110 gm castor sugar
20 gm milk powder
4 tsp instant yeast

(B)
1 egg
300 ml cold water

(C)
60 gm unsalted butter
10 gm salt


Method
  1. Mix (A) till well blended. Add (B) to form a dough. Add in (C) and knead until dough is elastic and smooth.
  2. Gather dough to form a ball and cover dough with cling wrap and let it rest for abt 50-60 mins or double in size.
  3. Divide dough into portions of 60 gm each. Shape into balls and leave it to rest for abt 10 mins. Roll out dough and wrap with desired fillings. Shape as required and let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
  4. Apply egg wash (1 beaten egg) on dough and sprinkle some shredded cheese on it. Bake dough at 180-190ºC for abt 12 mins.

Own Notes:
Tecno TEO 3400: Bake at 170C for 12 - 15 mins

No comments: