Friday, March 20, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes



This is not the usual flat pancakes but it's thick and fluffy. I have been using Nigella Lawson's pancake premix recipe as I can prepare the premix in advance and fridge it. But when I stumbled upon this recipe, I tried and like it alot (kids are neutral though). I personally feel that it's quite similar to MacDonald's Hotcakes, which is what I like.

My bottle of maple syrup just expired so I replaced it with 2 TBSP of cooking honey instead as I was worried it may be too sweet. I was right about the sweetness as 2 TBSP honey is still too sweet for us.

I can't remember where I've copied this recipe from so if you know the source, pls let me know so I can credit the originator.


Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients
2 cups Self-raising Flour
1 egg
1-1/2 cups Buttermilk (I replaced with 1 1/2 cup milk and 1 1/2 TBSP lemon juice, let it stand for 10 mins before using)
2 tbsp Sugar
pinch of salt

Method

  1. Mix all the ingredients together to form batter.
  2. Grease non-stick pan with butter/oil and using a ring mould, pour 2 tbsps of batter into the ring. Cook both sides. If not using a ring, try to use a small pan, so that the batter will not spread and pancake becomes flat at the sides.
  3. Serve with apple & raisins maple syrup and some butter.


Topping

Ingredients

2 large apples
3 tbsp maple syrup
45g raisins


Method


  1. Bring to boil the apples and syrup till apples are softened. Add in raisins. Set aside.

4 comments:

Irene said...

Heehee.. Hubby is into pancakes recently, thus, yr recipe comes in handy. will be trying it out this wkend. ;-d

Blessed Homemaker said...

I hope your hubby will like it :)

Anonymous said...

Can it be prepared in advance and freeze it? Thanks

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
Yes, you may prepare the pancake and freeze it in an airtight container.