During my working days, a few like-minded colleagues (turned friends) visit Japanese restaurants on a regular basis, tucking in on our favourite bento and sushi. Oh.. those were the days I missed.
My kids love Japanese food too. Whenever I declare the kitchen is closed for the day, their usual request is sushi for dinner. I enjoy eating Japanese food but DH prefers Chinese food. So if we're eating out as a family, we always end up in this Chinese restaurant at the airport.
I chanced upon this Japanese style butter rice and made it for the kids (seasonings reduced). They love it, except for DD3. You should see how she grimaced at her first bite :P But then again, she will still finish her bowl of rice served.
Chicken Butter Rice
(recipe adapted from here)
1 chicken breast, cut to bite size
8 shimeji mushrooms, sliced thinly/chucks
1 onion, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp of ketchup
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of homemade rice wine (Sake used originally)
- Clean and wash chicken. Pat dry chicken with kitchen towel and cut to bite size pieces (I marinated the chicken with light soy sauce and pepper for 1 hour prior to cooking - optional)
- Wash and cut mushrooms into slices.
- Mix grated ginger, ketchup, soy sauce and rice wine in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat pan and add oil, fry onion until soft.
- Add chicken and cook till chicken is slightly browned.
- Add shimeji mushrooms and cook till tender.
- Pour in mixed ketchup, soy sauce and rice wine to the pan and mix well. This should take about a minute or 2 to mix everything together. Remove from heat.
- Scoop cooked rice into a big mixing bowl while the rice is still hot. Add in butter and mix till the butter has melted completely.
- Add cooked chicken and mushrooms from the frying pan into the mixing bowl. Mix everything together.
- Serve immediately.
Are you using the Japanese rice to cook?Wow! Your DD3's bowl is so big!
I love the simplicity of this rice dish, easy yet tasty!
Hayırlı pazarlar, ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok güzel ve leziz görünüyor.
Your girl is cute!! :) Hehe...
BH, I love Japanese food too, luckily dd and dh love it as well. The rice looks good, I shall try it someday.
My! Such yummy looking rice and that little bit she's eating? She's already 3 rite? No wonder she looks so dainty, like a fairy...like Tinkerbell...
My kids love oyakudon, and this looks much like it accept for the tomato sauce and butter added. Must find a day to try it.
my kids also love Japanese food, this recipe sound simple and nice, must make for them one day. Thanks for sharing.
Look at your daughter...! She looks so cute with that bowl of rice :D)!
DD3 is so cute! She seems to be in deep thought.
she has grown so much!!!! time really flies.
Sounds very good and easy to make. Your little one is so cute!
i made it today..it is so so so yummi..thanks
Sorry for the late reply.
I've tried cooking with normal and Japanese rice, I prefer normal rice version whereas DH prefers Japanese rice.
My girl's coming 3. I usually give her 1/2 portion first and when finish, I give her 2nd helping.
Post a Comment