Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wolfberries Bread



When I first saw this recipe, I was really skeptical about this bread. Wolfberries in bread?? What an unusual combination.. or is it just me being ignorant? Nevertheless, my curiousity got the better of me and I baked this.

When it's time to roll up the dough, I realised I forgot to drain those wolfberries! Damn! I tore a few pieces of kitchen towels to pat dry and rolled them up. I did a messy job as the wolfberries were all cluttered at one side of the bread and refused to spread since they are still relatively moist. Nevertheless, I have them rolled up and sent it into the oven.



I was disappointed when I sliced the bread. The bread just look so wrong... took a bite and was taken by surprise that this combination actually taste good.


Ingredients

270 g All-purpose flour
6 g Dry active yeast
140 g Warm milk
½ tsp Salt
2 tbsp Sugar
½ pc Egg
35 g Butter, at room temperature
40 g Chinese wolf-berries
½ tbsp Sesame seeds

Method
  1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let stand for 5-8 minutes. Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Soak the Chinese wolf-berries in water for about 2-3 minutes. Drain and divide into 3 portions.
  2. Add yeast mixture and egg into the flour mixture. Mix quickly to obtain a soft dough. Then add in butter. Knead the dough vigorously (either by hand or in an electric mixer, using dough hook) until smooth. Cover bowl with a clean, damp kitchen towel and let ferment in a warm place for about 60 minutes. Fermentation is complete when the dough has just about doubled its initial volume: if you press your finger into the dough, the indentation should remain visible for a few seconds.
  3. Punch the dough down to release the gas and divide into 3 portions. Round up and let rest for about 10 minutes. Roll each dough into an oval shape and place each with one portion of prepared Chinese wolf-berries. Roll up and place in a greased loaf pan and leave to rise again for 50 minutes.
  4. Brush with egg wash to ensure a golden glaze and bake in a preheated 180C/350F oven for about 25 minutes.

Own Notes:
Tecno TEO 3400: Bake at 170C for 25 - 30 mins

4 comments:

Jackie said...

this is very healthy bread indeed.

Irene said...

Wow! such healthy recipe. Will definitely give this a try tonite!

Irene said...

I tried it & whoa la, a very diff looking bread but taste great!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Glad you like it :)