Friday, October 2, 2009

Baked Mooncakes

My very first baked moonies this year. I managed to use my disney cutters, after so many years... Bought them many years back but didn't have a chance to use them.

Uneven sizes for the white lotus paste (those in traditional mooncake moulds), I definitely need to brush up on shaping and moulding. For the disney characters, it's with green tea paste. Despite less sugar for the green tea paste, I find it still too sweet, and oily. Think I'll buy durian paste next year instead of green tea.

They look alright before baking but check out the next pic, it's horrendous!

I'm supposed to beat the egg yolk before brushing onto the moonies but I just couldn't be bothered and this is the end result. Patchy polka dotted moonies :-( This is again another lesson learnt, do not be lazy :P

Close-up shots of the ugly looking moonies. Thank goodness they tasted alright despite their appearance.

The skin is relatively thin, I used 20g skin with 20g fillings.

6 comments:

Irene said...

am sure it's still much healthy compared to outside buy.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Most definitely! Can't stand the taste of alkaline water so I reduced it by half and am glad it didn't affect the texture of the skin :-)

noobbaker said...

Hi,

Can i know where did u buy those mickey and pooh moulds from? And also how much are they. Trying to look for one but cant find it.

Thanks
noobbaker

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi noobbaker,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I suppose you are from Singapore? I bought mine from Japan but I've seen it in BHG and Tangs. It comes in a set of 2, price below S$10.

noobbaker said...

hi homemaker,

nope, im from malaysia. haha...
hhhmm..maybe i can get my fren to buy it and post to me?
thanks for the info!

noobbaker

Blessed Homemaker said...

I've seen it in a Msian online shopping site but price is slightly pricey.

http://www.nst.my/