Monday, October 12, 2009

Raising HAPPY children

I've been a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) for 2 years. With 3 young children, a dog and a frequent travelling DH, there is so much to be done but I've only got a pair of hands. I did contemplate getting a domestic helper but decided against it as that means I'll have to take care of her too. Of course, I'll wish to spend more time with my children, especially with DD1, to sit down with her to coach her schoolwork. I wish I have more time to play with DS2 as of late, he's constantly asking me what should he play/do now?

Some folks told me to bake less in order to make time for my children. I usually plan ahead if I want to bake, so I do not take up too much of my time away from my kids. I always try to prepare my ingredients in advance and get my kids involved when I bake. In this way, we spend some time bonding together. I honestly don't think this is a bad idea, since I'm also spending quality time with them and teaching DD1 to read recipes at a young age.

S0, besides being the main caregiver of my children, main homemaker of the house, what else have I achieved over these years? I don't know since there are no Mission, Goals, Objectives and Targets to achieve. But I'm sure the bonding with my children is invaluable. Also I want to raise HAPPY CHILDREN.

This quote was extracted from S's Wall in Facebook, it's very meaningful and I'm putting this in my blog as a reminder. I hope they can grow up happily.

If I had my child 2 raise all over again, I’d build self-esteem first, & e house later. I’d finger-paint more, & point e finger less. I would do less correcting & more connecting. I’d take my eyes off my watch, & watch w...ith my eyes. I’d take more hikes & fly more kites. I’d stop playing serious, & seriously play. I would run through more fields & gaze at more stars. I’d do more hugging & less tugging.

9 comments:

Shopaholic2802 said...

Here I am stuck in the office wishing I could be home spending time with son...so weekends are super precious cause thats the only time I get to fully concentrate on him, spend time playing, reading etc etc....some how it just does not feel like its enough...

Irene said...

I actually think u have done all that's stated d s 'post' alrdy!

Shopaholic2802 said...

I agree with Irene...

Happy Homebaker said...

I totally understand what you are going thru now, although I only have 2 boys but most of the time I am also 'operating' like a single parent ;) I think it is a great way to involve your children in baking...slowly when they are older they can help you in the cooking. I get free domestic help from my boys too. When times are tough, you can always get a part-timer helper. Eventually when your children are older, things will be much easier. You are doing great! Cheers!

Blessed Homemaker said...

HHB,
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Like you, I like to involve my kids so that they are not too dependant on me. And esp for my son, I want him to learn so he can help his wife next time. I engaged PT helper once but never again as I need to be home when she comes and with 3 children running around, it's tough too. Thanks for the idea anyway. I'll prob engage PT help again before CNY :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

Cin/Irene,
Thanks! I'm still learning to be a good mother.

WendyinKK said...

I do agree on the domestic helper part. Hubby want to get one, but I told him, I'm not going to arrange on how to accomodate her(put up with relative or tag her along) on our travels near or far. So, he dropped his plan, cos he didn't want that part of the responsibility too.

It's good that u teach ur children kitchen skills since young. I've seen lots of adults not knowing how to cook simple meal. My hubby was one of those, only learnt to cook instant noodles by age 27. Ha!! Before that whenever he ask me what I want for birthday or whatever special days, I'd request for Maggi noodles from him, and instead of going into the kitchen to make me the cheapest present, he'd say, let's go shopping. Hahahaha!!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, we're on the same boat ;-)

I guess most men are alike, the quick and easiest way out is to go out to buy a gift. Hahaha!

Unknown said...

Well I'm a father and a man ;-). I have a full time job and my wife has a fuller time job. My wife stays at home, homeschooling the children (2 girls, 1 boy and 1 expecting). Along side teaching them mathematics, reading and writing. They also learn how to do domestic work (chores). For all the good reasons already mentioned by yourselves and more. We are from the Netherlands and were just looking for a recipe to make some nice bread. Thank you for the recipes and God bless!