Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Banana Cake

I was down with a bad flu since Monday but I've got this big bunch of over-riped bananas sitting in the kitchen. I was contemplating if I should I bake or dump the bananas... and the answer is obvious, I used them in a banana cake.

I've made this recipe many times, using both whipping cream and evaporated milk (original recipe calls for whipping cream). The end result is a moist and soft cake, especially the one using whipping cream. With no whipping cream and evaporated milk, I decided to make do with fresh milk instead.

The end result is still soft and moist but somewhat different from using whipping cream. Nevertheless, it is still tasty and DD1 wanted to give some to our neighbour J, which of course we did ;-)

I've reduced the sugar by almost 1/2 as the bananas are over-riped and sweetened naturally. I prefer to use over-riped bananas so that I can cut down on my sugar.

Banana Cake
Ingredients
180 gm. Butter
100 gm. Fine sugar
2 nos. Extra large Eggs - beaten lightly
250 gm. Cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
220 gm. Bananas - mashed
50 gm. Dairy whip cream (can substitute with evaporated milk)
2 - 3 bananas, sliced (optional)
Some walnuts (optional)

Method

  1. Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.
  2. Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.
  3. Add in milk, mashed bananas and banana essence and mix well.
  4. Add in cake flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and beat for a while only.
  5. Pour into an 8" round tray, and arrange sliced bananas on top.
  6. Bake at 175C for about 50 to 60 mins. or until cooked.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi blessed Homemaker,

I happen to chance upon your blog and saw this banana cake. Is this butter cake kind of banana cake? The amount of whipping cream is only 50g? Do I use machaine to whip up the cake throughout?

I am very new to baking and like banana cake very much. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Jean

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Wow , you are such a talented baker , this cake looks so yummy !

cherry potato said...

loh...can share me a piece?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Jean,
Thanks for dropping by my blog. This cake is not as dense as butter cake but nothing like sponge/chiffon. It's more like "in-between". I should have take a pic of the sliced cake but I was too tried and forgot all about it.

FT Housefly,
Thank you for your kind words. I'm still an amauter baker, learning along the way. I'm also a lousy cook, wish I can cook like you one day.

cherry potato,
E-piece flying over to you now ;-)

DG said...

I like the way you decorate the top part, banana+walnut. Your cake nicely baked than mine. Thumb up! :)

TC Leow said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker,

Thank you for your reply. Will try out this banana cake.

Jean