Monday, January 10, 2011

Chinese Yam Chicken Soup 淮山鸡汤

I love Chinese Yam (淮山 huai shan /山药 shan yao) and is actively looking for new soup recipes to try out.  After I found this recipe by Food 4 Tots, I've been cooking this fairly often as my kids love this soup very much.

The chinese yam sold in the supermarket nearby weigh 500g and above.  I do not want to use half of it and keep the balance so I always throw in the whole lot into the pot.

PS: I hate taking soup pictures as they are always so boring.

Chinese Yam Chicken Soup (淮山鸡汤)
Ingredients
500g chicken meat/bones
500g fresh huai shan(淮山 huai shan /山药 shan yao), peeled and cut into chunks
2 - 3 large carrots
100g yu zhu (玉竹)
2 tbsp gou zi (枸子)
20 - 30 red dates (I added in these dates to increase the sweetness of the soup)
1.5 - 2 litres water

Seasonings
2 tbsp rice wine (sometimes I use homemade ginger wine 姜酒)
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Remove skin of carrots and cut into smaller pieces.
  2. Rinse red dates and yu zhu, soak in water for 5 - 10 mins or till soft.
  3. Blanch chicken meat/bones.
  4. Bring water to boil and add all ingredients (except wolfberries) in a pot. Using medium fire, bring water to boil again and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours. 
  5. Add in the wolfberries and let it brew in low fire for another 5 - 10 mins.
  6. Add salt and rice/ginger wine to taste before serving. 

8 comments:

WendyinKK said...

is it still slimy after boiling?

lishapisa said...

I always enjoy making and having chinese herbal soup.
I love chinese yam, there are like a lighter version of potatos. Need to try the rice wine add.
Thank you for sharing, and i like your photo too :)
Lisa
CookNg Sisters

MaryMoh said...

Mmm...delicious and nutritious. My family loves this type of soup...perfect for the cold winter here.

Edith said...

Seeing your soup reminded me so much of my mom's home made soup. awwww...

sherlyn said...

My mil has been telling me how good Chinese yam is and encourage me to try using it in soup ..

thanks for the recipe .. i hope I can find a time to use it..

anyway your soup picture is not boring cos got carrot colour.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
The Chinese Yam is not slimy after cooked, in fact it texture is very much like cooked potatoes.

Lisa,
Thanks for visiting. You've got a great blog! I'll be checking out your soup recipes as my kids love soup too!

Blessed Homemaker said...

MaryMoh,
A hot soup is definitely great for a cold weather, what's more cold winter! Happy New Year!

Edith,
I know I know, I miss my mom's soups too!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sherlyn,
I hope you will like this soup.