Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tomato and Egg Stir Fry


Tomato and egg stir fry is a common dish in my family. I always stock up on tomatoes and eggs so when I run out of ideas what to cook, this is it.  I removed the skin of the tomatoes prior to frying as it is simply too chewy for the little ones and it takes them ages to swallow.  Pampered?  Maybe...

I used to cook this with garlic but due to health reasons, I have to cut down on garlic intake so I replaced it with shallots instead and added some dried shrimps too.  Dried shrimps really helped to flavour this dish further and the kids prefer this version too.

Tomato and Egg Stir Fry
Ingredients

A handful dried shrimps (soaked in water to soften and minced/pounded)
2 - 3 shallots, sliced
2 Large tomatoes, peeled and sliced/cut into wedges
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Light soy sauce (salt may be used as an alternative)
dash of pepper
some vegetable oil

Method
  1. Prepare a pot of boiling water.
  2. Make a cross-shaped cut on the bottom of the tomatoes.
  3. Add tomatoes into boiling water, cook for 1 -  2 mins.  Remove to cool and peel the tomato skin.  Slice or cut into wedges.
  4. Heat up wok with some oil.
  5. Toss in shallots and dried shrimps, stir-fry till fragrant and a light golden brown on the shallots.
  6. Add beaten egg and scramble till 70% cooked. 
  7. Add in tomatoes and give it a quick stir.
  8. Add light soy sauce and pepper to taste.
  9. Serve.

15 comments:

fuat gencal said...

Çok severiz domates ve yumurtanın olduğu her yemeği severiz. Ellerinize sağlık.

Saygılar.

My Little Space said...

I haven't tried making stir fried tomatoes with eggs before. Funny huh! I used to make stir fried petola with eggs & glass vermicelli. Must try this some day. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, kristy

WendyinKK said...

Eh, you add tomatoes in last eh?
I prefer it in before the egg, so that it'll be coated with the egg and the tomatoes will be mushy mushy. hehehe.
After so many similarities, I finally found something different between us!!!
Hahaha.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

I love this dish! Looks great! You're so hardworking boiling the tomatoes first =) I don't bother!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Fuat Gencal,
Thanks for dropping by.

Kristy,
You know what? I've never cooked petola/luffa before.

Wendy,
I used to add tomatoes first as I prefer them mushy too. But since I've already 1/2 cooked the tomatoes, I added them last to prevent them from breaking up too much.

Clare,
If I'm pressed for time, I don't bother too :P

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Great idea- there are so many tomatoes in season here.

Happy Homebaker said...

I cook the tomatoes first before the eggs, so that the tomatoes will be softer. You are a great mum, I didn't bother to remove the skin, if my kids were to complain, I would probably tell them just eat, or tell them the skin is nutritious, hehe ;)

Kitchen Corner said...

This is simply good just with a bowl of rice. I can just take it as a meal.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Hmm, maybe I should try getting the skin out too, coz my elder one doesn't seem to like tomatoes, maybe it's the skin...i'm now throwing tomatoes ito their porridge to make them accustom to the taste. (Thanks, you give me great ideas)

MaryMoh said...

You have cooked one of my favourite dishes :D This dish is very appetising. I cook it very often at home, just had it yesterday for dinner.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ren,
In the western part of the world, I see many more different types of tomatoes and I'm so envious. Wish we have them in Sgp too.

HHB,
If I'm pressed for time, I cook the tomatoes first then eggs, without removing the skin. But most of the time, I try to remove them :P Not exactly a great mom but I just can't stand my kids spending an hour on their meal time.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Grace,
You are right, protein and veggie, can pose off as a "complete" meal.

Meldylocks,
I add tomatoes to their porridge/oats too! So sweet and they like it :)

MaryMoh,
I think this dish is quite common in a Chinese family.

tigerfish said...

Simple homey dish that is delicious - what more can we ask for?

anudivya said...

This looks delicious. The egg looks perfectly soft just like the way it should be.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Tigerfish,
I can only cook simple dishes :P

Anudivya,
Thanks for dropping by, hope to hear from you again.