Thursday, August 2, 2012

DIY Cake Ring

In my previous post, I shared that I made a mousse cake without a cake ring.  I'm going to share how I did it here.  Unfortunately I did not take pics of the first few steps as the cake was assembled at around 1am and lighting was no good.

Step 1
Tear a big sheet of aluminium foil and place it in a cake pan, making sure the ends are outside the pan (see pic below).  I used the same cake pan for baking the cake.

Step 2
Using double layer baking paper, wrap it around the inner side of cake and tape it down to secure the loose ends.

Step 3
Place 1 layer of cake into the cake pan

Step 4
Pour some mousse onto cake

Step 5
Place another layer of cake on top of mousse.  Repeat the steps until you run out of cake, ending with a mousse layer on top.

Step 6
I hope this pic gives a better idea of what I'm trying to explain.  I used a plastic sheet to cover the cake before leaving it in the fridge to chill.  I left it overnight.

Step 7

When the mousse has set, remove plastic sheet and carefully remove cake from pan by lifting up the ends of the aluminium foil.  Place cake on top of a cake board.

Step 8

Wrap the ends of aluminium foil to the cake board to secure it. Remove baking paper with care.  Definitely not the best looking cake but who cares when this method works?

Step 9
Decorate as desire

Finally, the sliced cake!  Not too bad, if you were to ask me ;-)

5 comments:

茵茵 said...

Thanks for sharing the tips!

Peng said...

Hehehe is indeed a great idea! ;)

Anonymous said...

wonders of aluminium

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Love the colours on this cake. And your self made cake ring is very innovative :)

Connie said...

R, you are a genius! After seeing your step by step guide, now I know I've wasted $ on a cake ring. And I've not mention it occupies space in my cupboard too.