Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Matcha Mousse Cake

10 years today, I became a mother.  The night before, we were watching a movie on TV back home, in a very relaxed environment.  I thought I felt some contractions, but the pain wasn't too intense so I brushed it off as a false alarm.  We went to bed after the show and I found myself awaken by the pain in my belly and lower back.  Took a shower and got all my things ready, I woke DH up.  As it was in the wee hours, traffic was smooth and we got to the hospital within 25 mins.  The nurse asked if I needed a wheelchair which I gladly declined.  However, the walk from the lobby to the lift seemed to take ages.  I walked and paused to catch a breather when the contractions came.  Nevertheless, I made it to the labour ward without much effort.  After a check, I was only dilated 3cm so the nurse gave me a pethidine jab and I went to sleep.  I woke up a few hours later and found myself in intense pain.  The nurses offered me Entonox but I found it to be useless (I later found out it was because I didn't inhale the gas correctly).  The doc was called and she arrived within 10mins (we always grumble gynaes earn big bucks but they work odd hours too.  So let's not be too hard on them).  I was in too much labour pain that I didn't even know my doc performed an episiotomy on me.  I only found out about it when she was stitching me up hahaha

The baby was out in 4 pushes and I'm thankful my labour pain was a mere 4 hours from the time I woke up to the time I delivered.  I delivered without any epidurals too.  My doc praised me for being such a brave girl and I felt proud of myself.  I think the words of encouragement do help a new mother feel good about herself.

Now back to the cake.  I've not maked a layered cake for a long time.  My plan was to make a non-baked marshmallow cake to ease my job.  But DD1 specifically asked for a gummy bear with matcha/green tea cake.  I spent some time on the internet, trying to get ideas.  Honestly, my thought of a gummy + matcha cake sounds weird.  Nevertheless, I tried my best to fulfil and came out with this cake.

First, I did the gummy candy, recipe can be found here.  Then I went on to bake 2 cakes, one matcha flavour and one chocolate, just so I could have the contrast colour when the cake is cut.  I was debating between a matcha mousse or a chocolate mousse.  Birthday girl wanted a matcha flavour, so the answer is obvious.

I don't own a cake ring and I don't intend to get one as I'm running out of shelf space.  I made do with DIY cake ring and I'm glad with the final result.

This is the first time I made such a tall cake with 8 layers!  It was a challenge but I'm glad the cake turned out well.

I'm happy because my child is happy :-)

Recipe later....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a beautiful cake! Viv

Anonymous said...

Love your colour combination :)

May

Anonymous said...

I'm a silent reader of your blog. I'm into my final trimester and do not know what to expect in labour. I plan to take epidural bcos I don't think I can endure the pain. Thanks for sharing your birth experience. I hope I can be as strong as you.

Zoe said...

This cake is very beautifully layered! Very nice!

Your child must be very proud of you :D Being a mum too, I think it is really not easy to go thru child birth and motherhood. You did well!

KG said...

Pls share how you DIY cake ring.

hanushi said...

The layers in between are so well-defined and nicely cut! :)

mui mui said...

Hi,
Your cake is so tall and beautifully made.
Love this very much, will bookmark this.
Thanks for sharing.

mui mui said...

Hi,
Your cake is so tall and beautifully made.
Love this very much, will bookmark this.
Thanks for sharing.