Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Gummy

I've seen this recipe in Kitchen Capers, by Gina back in 2006.  I didn't get a chance to make it as I don't have any proper molds.  With a new Daiso around my neighbourhood, I finally bought some chocolate molds.  DD1 specially asked for a gummy bear cake.  We recently bought a big pack of Yummy Earth Organic Gummy but I thought it is a good opportunity for me to DIY instead of using store-bought.

Look how cute these bears are.  But they are slightly too big for gummies.

The mold comes in 6-in-1.  I bought 2 moulds and there were some extras.

So the balance went into my egg mold and some flower mold.

The final product went onto DD1's birthday cake which I'll blog about another day.

If you were to ask me, they don't taste anything like the commercial gummies.  But it is a quick and easy treat that you can whip up anytime at home without running to the stores.

Homemade Gummy
Ingredients

85g flavoured Gelatin powder
2 tbsp unflavoured/plain Gelatin powder
125ml water

Method
  1. Pour water into a small pot.  Sprinkle both gelatin over the water and let it sit for 10 mins.
  2. Place pot over medium low heat and cook till all gelatin dissolve.  Do not boil.
  3. Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
  4. Lightly oiled plastic molds with vegetable oil
  5. Pour melted gelatin into it.
  6. Leave it in the freezer for 5 mins only
  7. Remove from freezer and pull out the gummy bear from the mold.
Notes
  • I use a packet of Tortally brand which comes in 90g, Gina uses Jello brand
  • I use fish based gelatin from Phoon Huat
  • Boiled cool water was used instead of tap water
  • I didn't oil the molds but after the gummy has set, I kept them in the fridge overnight.

1 comment:

busygran said...

Nice treats for children! My grandsons would love these! Will make these for them instead of buying.