Monday, June 7, 2010

Steamed Tapioca Cake (Ubi Kayu)

2 years ago, I had several requests from DD1 to learn piano.  She was just about to start her Primary education and I was reluctant to let her take up piano lessons for I do not know if she can cope with her school work (she's one big dawdler!).  2 years later today, she is still asking for it.  I guess having asked for 2 years means she is really interested?  Anyway, it was quite an impromptu decision to buy a piano, we just decided to let her learn on a weekday, and that following weekend, we visit a 2nd hand piano dealer and bought a 1989 Kawai BS-20 Special.

I believe the 2nd hand dealer is a sexist, for when I speak to him, he gives me all kinds of craps and excuses.  It is interesting to know how people can twist their words within seconds of speaking.  But when DH calls him personally to clarify some issues, he was so polite and gave no excuses.

This man reminded me of my ex-colleague, a Sales Director.  He can twist black to white during a meeting and when the CEO joins us and was questioned, he can twist it back to black again.  I thought such scenarios can only be seen on TV dramas.  Kudos to him for being such a great twister, but since that episode, I have no respect for him.

My quote to all my superiors:
If you are my superior, I will give you a certain degree of respect, the rest must be earned.

Life is full of contradictions, if the world has no such people, it will be a better place for mankind to live in.  But with them around, it differentiates the class of people (not in terms of social status) we have.  This is where the humble and down to earth people will stand out.  That's what I think.

I made some Steamed Tapioca Cake/Kueh/Kuih (Ubi Kayu) for my Dad a few weeks ago but he prefers Kueh Kosui, which is softer.

Steamed Tapioca Cake (Ubi Kayu) - Recipe from Aunty A
Ingredients
500g grated tapioca
130g sugar
100ml coconut milk
110ml pandan juice
1/4 tsp salt
200 - 250g fresh grated coconut

Method
  1. Line a 8" round pan with banana leaves and grease the side of the pan.
  2. Mix tapioca, sugar, coconut milk and pandan juice in a mixing bowl.
  3. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  4. Steam at high heat for 30 - 35 mins or until cooked.
  5. Remove and leave to cool completely.
  6. In the mean time, steam grated coconut with salt for 5 - 10 mins.  Leave to cool completely.
  7. Cut  the tapioca cake into desired size, coat in cooled grated coconut and serve.

9 comments:

busygran said...

It's been a long time since I made these. I'm drooling.

ann low said...

I love Ubi Kayu and had not made this for a long time. Thanks for reminding.

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

The cake looks perfect! And seems easy enough to make. I like =)

WendyinKK said...

Oh gosh, this looks so good.
The pandan juice is such a good idea!!! I'll do this the next time I get some good tapioca.

WendyinKK said...

Oh yeah, one question
No squeezing the juice out from the tapioca???
Not scared the kuih turn bitter ah??? Sometimes tapioca can be bitter one woh.
Or was yours the white or yellow variety?

MaryMoh said...

Oh...I really like this but it's always so difficult to get tapioca here. Have not seen it for a long time. I have to go back to eat. Hope I can get ready frozen ones again.

Cosy Bake said...

One of my favourite Kuih is Ubi Kaya. But needs lots of hard work to make!!

I'm going to start piano teaching course very soon. Hope I will stil have time to bake and blog.... :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

busygran & Anncoo, make them soon :)

Thanks Clare!

Wendy, I think I should have used the concentrated sediment for this instead to get a darker green cake.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, I didn't squeeze out the juice from the grated tapioca. The tapioca I used is white.

MaryMoh, you just reminded me to appreciate what I have. Thanks!

Honeyboy, it's alot of work if you were to grate the tapioca yourself. My gf's mom bought the grated ones from market so no hassle for me.
Not easy to be a piano teacher, needs lot of patience. Kudos to you!