Friday, July 2, 2010

Baileys Japanese Cotton Cheesecake (Alex Goh)

This is yet another overdue post.

As I wasn't satisfied with my Japanese Cheesecake texture, I made it again since I've got the balance 1/2 block of cheese sitting in my fridge from my previous attempt

I'm pretty sure I've got more accurate measurements this time round as the texture was moist and soft.  Yes, I did it! :-)  But instead of making just a regular cheesecake, I added some Baileys Irish Cream into it for extra flavour.  Taste good but kids got sick of eating so much cheesecakes and decided they've had enough.  I end up eating the whole cake.  Sinful...  Lesson learnt, do not attempt the same recipe within a short period of time.

Baileys Japanese Cotton Cheesecake
(adapted from Alex Goh's Fantastic Cheesecake, from here)

Ingredients
(A)
1/2 block (125g) cream cheese
90ml milk
1 cm thick (15g) butter

(B) * sifted
1/4 cup (30g) plain flour
3 tbsp (24g) cornstarch

(C)
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 tbsp baileys irish cream

(D)
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup (60g) sugar

Method
  1. In a heavy saucepan, cook cream cheese, milk and butter until thick and smooth. Set aside to cool.
  2. Fold in (B) and mix well with a whisk.
  3. Put egg yolks into the cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Add Baileys Irish Cream and mix well.
  4. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Put in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks, add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff (soft droopy peak that will hold its form).
  5. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into cheese mixture with a spatula till incorporated.
  6. Pour the cheese mixture into the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  7. Pour batter into a lined 8" pan (I was lazy so I just greased and flour the base on the pan only).
  8. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely.
  9. Fill a bowl with hot water and put in into the oven with the prepared cake pan, bake in preheated oven @ 160C for 20 mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 150C and bake for 20mins.
  11. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 140C and bake for another 20 mins and until skewer inserted to centre of cake comes out clean.
  12. Leave to cool in oven wih door slightly ajar.
  13. Unmould and chill in fridge before slicing.

18 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got it this time.

Can send some over???

busygran said...

Looks good and soft. I too have to eat up my own cakes cos my family are not into sweet things. :(

Happy Homebaker said...

your cheesecake looks good!! I like the soft cottony texture! I tried baking cheesecake once (new york style) and it cracked :'( since then I have not picked up any courage to try baking cheesecake.

ann low said...

I love cheesecake. Looks sooo good...I can eat the whole cake too ;D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, this looks irresistibly good! Thanks for sharing this, till now I am still looking for Alex Goh's Fantastic Cheesecake book! Wow, Bailey...coffee scent, yum!

Bakericious said...

the cheesecake looks gd, i think my daughter olso get sick of my cakes as well, probably my inlaw too :P. Luckily I stil ve my sis n bro, and also my office and dh's office to be guinea pigs hee hee hee

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
I'm glad this turned out well, thanks for sharing!

Busygran,
The good thing about homebakes are we can reduce sugar accordingly.

Blessed Homemaker said...

HHB,
I'm sure you can bake a nice cheesecake given your skills. Waiting patiently for your blog update ;-)

Anncoo,
Oh yes, I can tell you love cheesecakes as you have so many cheesecakes recipes in your blog!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Honey Bee Sweets,
Thanks for dropping by. Oh yes, coffee! Great reminder! Next time can add in Baileys and some coffee powder for more flavours ;)

Jess,
Lucky you, still have so many people to eat them up. I just try not to bake so much now :P

Pei-Lin said...

*LOL* Yea, good advice. It's so true not to attempt the same thing twice in a real short period of time. I'd only do so unless 我覺得很不服氣又甘心 ... Sometimes, my ego just takes over me unknowingly ... Haha! So bad.

Love your idea of adding Irish Bailey! My family loves light cheesecakes like this. So do I, but I'm fine with just about anything as I ain't fussy at all ...

Blessed Homemaker said...

Pei-Lin,
Wait till you hear my story on 发糕, I made it 5 times within 2.5 months! Like you've said, "不服氣又甘心", I just wanted to get it right but still, no luck. Thankfully I had my sister's family to finish them up for me :P

Ms Demeanour said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker, I was wondering if you were interested in collaborating on a televised baking project I am working on? I couldn’t find any contacts to talk with you direct. If you are interested please email me at talya.stone100 AT googlemail DOT com.
Thanks & hope to speak soon,
Talya

Allie said...

Your cheesecake looks gorgeous! The crumb so fine and dense...yummy!

NEL said...

Baileys in cheesecake sounds divine!
Great job on the cake - the top looks so smooth and perfect! An amazing feat you have achieved there.

Ean said...

Can I omit Bailey Irish cream ?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ean,
Yes, you can omit Baileys.

Anonymous said...

Here is how to bake cheesecake that won't crack. Pre-heat oven at 350F, when you put in your batter, turn down to 250F and bake for 1-1 1/2 hrs. Turn of the heat and leave the cake in closed oven for 3-4 hours then continue to cool down outside oven before chill in the fridge or freezer. Guarantee your cheesecake will not crack.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
Thanks for your tip!