Monday, May 24, 2010

Watercress Sweet Corn Soup

I didn't forget this blog but I've been so pre-occupied with unexpected happenings.

So much happened recently and I'm starting to lose faith in people around me.  I don't have many friends but if I regard a person as a friend, I treat him/her well.  This is my taurus character.

I thought she was a friend, I shared my online bakeware sprees with her (and a few other friends) to help everyone save costs.  We weren't the best pals then but we had so much in common and can chat for hours.  But when she found someone "better", I was forsaken.  Before she started her online business, we conducted overseas sprees together, sharing cost equally.  She got adventurous and started her own online store. One day, I asked if she could help me get an item from the regular merchant.  She agreed but it will be based on her selling price.  To me, it's not about the money.  I consoled myself that I'm just overly sensitive, maybe this is the way to become a successful businesswoman.  And yes, she's doing really well with her online store now.  Maybe that explains why I'm not a businesswoman but a homemaker?

I thought he was a friend, always there for me on any financial advices (not that I made alot of investments).  Then he started to trade without my approval.  I didn't know about this until his colleague called a few weeks ago.  He is currently under investigations.  My presence was needed to verify some documents and I had to make a trip to his HQ office, lugging DD3 along.  I received no phone calls from him but on the day I was to visit his office, he called to apologise, hoping to seek mercy.  I forgive him but reminded him that he will have to face the consequences of his own actions.  Disheartened.

I thought she was a friend, whom I can chat with anytime but she lied.  I have trusted her and there were no doubts at all until DH highlighted a few discrepancies.  And yes, it's money-related matters.

Despite these hiccups in my life, I'm glad to have a few close friends whom I can confide in.  Thank you girls!

I've been lagging in my blog update so I'm just going to share a simple soup recipe I made for dinner some time back.

With 2 bundles of watercress turning yellow and 2 sweet corns hiding at the corner of my fridge, I decided to cook them together.  The combination ended up with a very sweet and yummy soup, no additional seasoning needed.  My kids love this soup :-)

Watercress Sweet Corn Soup
Ingredients
500g watercress
2 sweet corns
250g pork ribs/lean meat
2.5 litres water
10 - 15 red dates (红枣)
salt to taste (optional)

Method
  1. Wash watercress and separate out stalk and leaves.
  2. Blanch pork ribs/lean meat.
  3. Bring water to boil and add all ingredients except watercress leaves in a pot.
  4. Using medium fire, bring water to boil again, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours.
  5. Remove stalks from pot and add in leaves, continue to cook for another 1 hour.
  6. Season with salt before serve.

23 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Gosh... sometimes bad things happen to let you know your real friends.

BTW.. that's a really new soup to me!! Bravo for that combination. Definately sweet sweet sweet

muimui said...

Hi i cook this, but i add 3-4 big apple no need any salt. It taste so sweet, my kid took 2 bowl. Good for this hot weather. Where everyone is feeling so heaty.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sorry to hear about your friends story, and luckily you still have few good friends to support you. I never thought to add corn into watercress soup, must try to cook this one day.

Cosy Bake said...

BH,

Guess what? I was going thru something very similar! Worse this person is next kin to me!!! Anyway, things are over. The ending was a better ending. I was so tired and down to bake anything to update my blog.

Hope you are well now, and I will be soon back to blogging. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

"I don't have many friends but if I regard a person as a friend, I treat him/her well. This is my taurus character."
_______________________

Maybe Taureans are easily taken for granted. I'm a Taurean, and facing the same thing as you. At least, there are still some friends for you to confide in. For me, I've none because I don't know who to trust anymore :-(

sherlyn said...

Such a good idea to add in the stalks first .. and the leaves last. And the soup looks so tasty. I try to see if i can get the ingredients tmr morning to cook it.

tracieMoo said...

It's funny how we'll often could not understand why people do the things they do, and it's always money which comes between friendship and relationships. I would say that we could only learn from each unfortunate experience, and maybe appreciate the rest that we have been taking for granted, right? :)

I hope you don't take it too hard on yourself and there is always alot of reasons to smile. Don't worry about not catching up in blogging. I'm constantly checking to see your yummy recipes! One of your biggest fan :)

My Asian Kitchen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends..I know what you mean...sometimes human being are selfish....well just take it easy...hmmm add in sweet corn wt watercress,that is really good,,more sweet!

MaryMoh said...

This must be a very tasty soup. I love to use sweet corn to make soup....delicious.

LING said...

Love your BLOG, excellent recipes and baker!! and this is the first time that I am making a comment. Don't discourage, yeah..you are right, sometimes it takes a certain " turn of event" to really "know" of a person, and that is also why we can't expect all people to think and behave like us, there bounds to be a dissapointment or else the world will be perfect and there will be no bad people, isn't it? :)
Keep up the good spirit...there are still good people around you, and take pride that you are one of them....

Shopaholic2802 said...

Oh dear ... so many things happened...no wonder... I dun blame you from being disheartened... this has happened too many times to me... that's why I have only a few close friends... no worries, you have me to talk to if you need even if I am not online you can always call me on my mobile.... chin up babe!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you dear blessed homemaker,

Glad to see you blogging again!

I can understand your situation, cos I've been thru it,cried buckets, and turn out to be a stronger person but not too trusting on others..
Take care
cupcake

ann low said...

Hope you're OK now :))
Love your soup with sweet corn added.

DG said...

I'm so sorry to hear the story about yours. Take care and looking forward to see you back blogging. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't be disheartened. Sometimes things happened for a reason, maybe this is just another way for you to see the so called real face of these friends.

Don't worry, everything will turn out fine after these events. Have faith.

sherlyn said...

I made it. Nice, but my kids dun like cos of the water cress smell .. and I only put a bunch which is like 200 or 250g.

mimimama said...

hi am a taurus too!it's in our personality to treat ppl as friends 1st :-) cheer up, things happen for a reason, now you know who are your true frens

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Life is about moving on as we learn. Watercress soup is one of my favourite. The sweet corn is new to me. Thanks!

Food For Tots said...

Maybe you are too kind so others are trying to take advantage of you. I'm sure you will get your good karma in future. 好人有好报的!Love the combination of this soup! My son loves sween corn. Will try it out soon. ;)

Bakericious said...

Hi BH, so sorry to hear wat u ve gone thru, I can fully understand how u feel as I had encountered "betrayed" by someone whom veri closed to. Hope u r ok now. The soup combination is interesting, must b yummy too.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thank you bloggers and readers for all your concern. I'm okay now, just that I needed an avenue to vent and after that I'll be fine.

Quinn said...

When I say I understand how you feel, please believe me....I've been in that kind of situated many many times and people just took me for granted. I hate it, absolutely hate it. I'm no Taurean but yeah...it happens, such is life. I've moved on and accept the fact that some people are meant to be like that....

I grew up drinking watercress soup too! In my house we add in dried cuttlefish (diu phin) and honey dates (mat zhou) to the soup and it gives it the extra richness and smoky flavour! Very yummy!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Quinn,
It's so unfortunate that there are so many "betrayals" in this world. But like the others mentioned, it's only through bad times do we get to see the true colours of people around us.

I've never thought of adding dried cuttlefish to this soup. I usually add cuttlefish to lotus roots soup. I'm going to try your method next time. Thanks!