Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chayote, Corn with Mushroom in Pork Broth (合掌瓜玉米茶樹菇豬骨湯)

Remember my post on Mushroom Chicken Soup?  I saw some fresh Agrocybe Aegerita (茶树菇) in our local supermarket so I bought a packet. I didn't realise this was 茶树菇 as it is labelled as "Willy Mushroom" until I took a closer look at the chinese words.  They are always on the shelves, just that I didn't pay much attention to unfamiliar things/objects around me.

I stumbled upon The Chinese Soup Lady.com and saw this recipe with 茶树菇 and since I've got all ingredients on hand, I decided to give it a try.  It has a mild sweet taste and the kids love it :-)

Chayotes, Corn with Mushrooms in Pork Broth (合掌瓜玉米茶樹菇豬骨湯)
Ingredients
500 pork ribs
200g agrocybe aegerita (茶树菇)
1 large chayotes (佛手瓜/合掌瓜)
2 fresh corns
1.5 - 2 litre of water
salt to taste (optional)

Method
  1. Wash and soak agrocybe aegerita in water.  Trim away the ends of the stalks.
  2. Wash and cut chayotes and corn into cubes.
  3. Blanch pork ribs/lean meat.
  4. Bring water to boil and add all ingredients in a pot. Using medium fire, bring water to boil again and cook for 30 minutes, reduce to small flame and simmer for 2 hours.
  5. Add salt to taste (optional) before serve.

8 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Wah! You cook very healthy food! I like your cooking and have a lot to learn from you. Thanks for sharing!

Cosy Bake said...

HB,

My son loves chayote soup very much. I shall try your recipe and see if he likes it. This soup must be a very sweet soup. I will like it for sure. Corn and chayote will never go wrong! Thanks for sharing.

Honey Boy

MaryMoh said...

Ooooh...I love this type of clear soup. I always like to add sweet corn to soup. It gives such a beautiful natural sweetness.

WendyinKK said...

Oh, I must try this one day.
Chayotes are very sweet, and I love them.
It'll be a new recipe for me to use with as I only used chayotes for stir fries.
Thanks!

DG said...

Your soup looks very yummy. Maybe I should cook for my family. Thanks for sharing variety of soup in your blog.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Grace, thanks! Being a sahm, I have to do what I'm needed to do ie to take care of the family and their stomachs. I'm not a good cook, still learning along the way.

Honey boy, one blogger mentioned that she has allergic reaction towards this mushroom so do take note.

MaryMoh, my kids love sweet corns too! I'll never go wrong with it.

Wendy, I prefer chayote in stir fries too as I can taste the natural sweetness. When it goes into the soup, they all taste alike - mushy!

DG, I'm starting to cook more dishes and soup for my family now. Will be posting more soup recipes ;-)

WendyinKK said...

Just posted this today :)

thanks for the recipe!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, glad you like it :)