Due to my camera setting, I get 2 different colours of these cookies. The actual cookies actually look more like the first 2 pictures posted.
(adapted from Martha Steward)
Makes about 8 dozen (I cut them into triangles and had 60+ cookies)
2 cups (250g) plain flour
3 tea bags finely ground Earl Grey tea leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
220g butter, softened
45g icing sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Whisk together flour, tea, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Put butter, sugar, and zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide dough in half. Transfer each half to a piece of parchment paper; shape into logs. Roll in parchment to 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log and force out air. Transfer in parchment to paper-towel tubes; freeze 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Space 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until edges turn golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.