Friday, January 21, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #3: CNY Cookies (2011) - Matcha Oatmeal Cookies

It is very frustrating to get phone calls when I'm in the midst of something, especially when I'm busy in the kitchen.  It is even more infuriating when the calls are unimportant calls.  I do get irritated when I received calls from banks/survey companies blah blah blah... but I can easily shut them off, end the call and go back to what I was doing earlier.  If the call is from a close friend or my maiden family, I will explain that I'm busy and will return call later (eh... that's a few days later).  But if it's a call from friends (or rather, acquittances) or relatives, I tend to be a little more polite.  Hypocrite?  Maybe.

Anyway, I've been getting the same questions from some people over the past 2 years, asking me why DD1's teacher allows her to do certain things but not her child.  Hey, these 2 kids have never been in the same class and their form teachers are different.  We are moving into the 3rd year and I'm still getting similar questions.  Given the same request from 2 students in different classes, do we expect to get the same reply?  When the response from the teachers differ, I get questioned, "Why huh?"  I'm not the teacher, don't ask me, go ask the teacher.

Alright, enough of my rants.  I just need to get it off my chest.

This is not a traditional Chinese New Year (CNY) cookie.  When I say traditional CNY cookies, I'm actually referring to peanut cookies, kuih bangkit, almond cookies, love letters and the ever famous pineapple tarts.  It is common to find these cookies all over the shops in Singapore during this festive season. Over the years, with some influence from the West, we have included western cookies into our CNY.  Yes, similar to the checkerboard cookies I've baked earlier, I'm sharing another western cookie for CNY - Matcha Oatmeal Cookies.

I've baked this using Oatmeal Currant Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe but modified it to include matcha.  Despite not being a great fan of matcha (green tea), my kids love these cookies.  I think this is a great combination, oatmeal and matcha, a healthier choice ;-)

With my previous attempt with cocoa powder, I thought the cookies were still too sweet so I omit caster sugar altogether.

I'm happy how these cookies turned out ^-^

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers # 3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) hosted by j3ss kitch3n.

Matcha Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients
110g unsalted butter
100g light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I omit)
90g all purpose flour
1 tsp matcha/green tea powder
1/2 tsp salt (omit salt if you are using salted butter)
130g rolled oats
100g chocolate chips

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
  2. Cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Add the egg and beat well (if you are making full recipe, add egg one at a time).
  4. Add in vanilla extract.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix flour, matcha/green tea powder and salt.
  6. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until incorporated.
  7. Stir in the rolled oats and chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
  8. Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking tray.
  9. Flatten the cookies slightly and bake the cookies for about 15 - 20 minutes. The cookies are done when golden brown around the edges but still a little soft in the centers. (The longer the cookies bake the more crispy they will be.) Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. These cookies will keep several days at room temperature.

15 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Oh yes, from the recipe, the 100gm of brown sugar is more than enough, some more with choc chips.
I'd do that too.
You kids love matcha, is it? Always see matcha bakes :p

Your #1 Fan said...

I love the color! The cookies look so delicious! Copied the recipe. Thanks for sharing. =D

Bakertan said...

intersting choice of cookie for CNY. ya, agree that western cookies are invading into out usual CNY cookies.

Happy CNY in advance and I am sure you and your family will have a wonderful time feasting =]

Edith said...

Oh gosh, that mom is really kiasu. If I am you, I too will dislike such calls.

I like your Matcha Oatmeal Cookies. If have the time I will make a batch just for myself. hehehe.

Anonymous said...

hi

I m new in cookies..like your cookie..followed your receipe but just couldnt get that same color as yours.mine turn brown.Hope to know why?

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

oh wow- those look so good! I wonder if my youngest monkey would try them...

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
My kids don't like matcha but I'm trying to introduce matcha to them.

Whenever my friend help me to get matcha from Japan, he always get me quite a lot so I try to utilise them before they expire :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

Jet,
Thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment, else I wouldn't have found out about your fabulous blog!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Bakertan,
Thanks and Happy New Year to you too!

Edith,
It's is indeed frustrating esp. when I have to wash and dry my hands just to run to pick up the call and it's of no importance.

I think you are a matcha fan like me so I think you will like this cookie too.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
If the heat is too hot, your bakes with matcha will turn brown instead of staying green. Try to lower your temperature a little.

Ren,
My kids love this, can't quite taste the matcha in it. If you are worried, you might want to reduce matcha to 1/2 tsp and see if your youngest accept the taste.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at the chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe you mentioned and it seems u added baking soda into that recipe but not this one. Will that affect anything?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
I'm no expert here but I've read that if you are baking with cocoa powder, you'll need to add baking soda. Else your bake will turn bitter.

Anonymous said...

I am a little confused, in your list of ingredients, white sugar is not listed, but in your method you state to cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Do you use white sugar or not?

Blessed Homemaker said...

My apologies if I've confused you. The original calls for a combination of brown and caster sugar but I find these cookies too sweet, thus I omit the caster sugar. I've made the amendments to my post now.

Anonymous said...

god oh god these cookies are AMAZING. I followed your recipe exactly as it said and they turned out SO. DARN. GOOD. the sides of the cookies were crispy and everything else was just warm and chewy!Thanks for sharing :D