Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Parmesan Cream Crackers

How many of you are using dairy whipping cream for cake decorating and always end up with 1/2 or more carton left but do not know what to do with it?  I had this problem, that explains why I'm always on the lookout for recipes with whipping cream, so that the balance won't go to waste.  When I get lazy, I just freeze the balance to cook creamy pasta.

There are several recipes online with whipping cream and here's sharing one that I like, Parmesan Cheese Crackers.

The original recipe uses the food processor but I used the rub-in method.


Parmesan Cream Crackers
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour (120g), more as needed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (40g) grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp (60g) unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup (60ml) whipping cream, more as needed
Coarse salt, pepper, sesame for sprinkling (optional)

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 190C.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly dust with flour.
  2. Put flour, salt and cheese in mixing bowl.  Using a fork, cut in butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
  3. Add about 1/4 cup whipping cream and roughly work until a dough forms. If it does not come together, add more liquid a teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds together but is not sticky. (I didn't add any extras)
  4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4-inch thick or even thinner, adding flour as needed.
  5. From here, you can either form them into individual crackers and bake them an inch apart on your baking sheet (the method I used) or transfer the entire rolled-out sheet to your baking sheet and score them lightly with a knife, pizza or pastry wheel to break into crackers after they are baked. For either method, dock all over with a fork and sprinkle with salt or any other toppings you are using. (I omit the toppings)
  6. Bake until moderately browned, about 12 minutes. Cool on a rack; serve warm or at room temperature or store in a tin for a few days.

21 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

these look delicious-

E. said...

The crackers look so puffy and delicious! You should also make scones with the leftover whipping cream. :D There's also a Elvis Presley pound cake with whipping cream that is very popular in the blogosphere. But I totally get what you mean, I always get this ingredient and have a ton of that leftover... like with my sour cream. That's also why I have so many sour cream posts on my blog. lol

WendyinKK said...

Oh you finally made this
Looks very nice and puffy.
Me too, am always trying to crack my head on how to use up whipping cream. Haha. I have a label dedicated to whipping cream for all things related to my leftovers from frosting.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for sharing, now i know how to better use of whipping cream.

The Sweetylicious said...

this is so innovative! and it look so lovely and yummy! (: (:

Hilda said...

Oh ! I love crackers & these look delicious, if you don´t mind I´ll try your recipe.
Kisses from Spain-Europe

sherlyn said...

You are so right. I always have remainders, lots of them if I buy a pack... and previously I did, so now I have approx of 500ml still in freezer. Am trying to use it to make mango mousse since I have a tub of mango puree too.
The crackers looks very nice, but how does it taste like? like soh da pia?

Anonymous said...

HI,,love to give recipes a trial,,any subsitute for whipping cream,,hop u can help n share,,thanks

Bakertan said...

Blessed homemaker,

I have an award for you =]

http://bakinglibrary.blogspot.com/2011/04/orange-craneberry-scones-and-awards.html

hanushi said...

Certainly looks interesting and I think it will be a good party food...

Alice said...

thks for sharing this recipe - my son will love this! :)

Blackswan said...

I'm drawn by your title Parmesan Cheese Crackers which happened to be my fave snack. I stumbled upon your blog in one of foodie's site & thought I drop by. Looking fwd to sharing our food passion!

Oh, Luxury Haven is conducting her 2nd Giveaway, open to all regardless of when u reside :) Be sure to support & join in the fun @ Mother’s Day Handmade Accessories Giveaway!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ren,
Thanks :)

Esther,
Unfortunately I'm not a pound cake person. I love cream scones but it's so unhealthy. Making these cream crackers make me feel less guilty :P

Wendy,
I made these in Aug 2010, if not for Aspiring Bakers, I think I probably won't be posting this yet :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia/Sweetylicious,
Thanks!

Hilda,
Of course I won't mind. Pls let me know how it turned out for you if you ever make them.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sherlyn,
Not quite like our local cream crackers. Maybe I've rolled them too thick?

And they turned soft the next day despite keeping them in airtight container.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
I've not tried using other ingredients as I was trying to clear off my whipping cream. You might want to try yogurt/sour cream, but I've not tried it myself.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Bakertan,
Thanks for the award!

Hanushi, Alice & Blackswan,
Thanks for your kind words.

sherlyn said...

hehe, I am not experience to answer that question ;-)

sheila @ Elements said...

What a great idea! I've only made crackers a few times, but I'd love to make these the next time I have leftover cream. They look so good! :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sherlyn,
Maybe you can try making and let me know your feedback? hehehe

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sheila,
Thanks for visiting! You've got a beautiful blog! Awesome photography!