Saturday, October 24, 2009

Matcha Mochi (Daifuku)

I love Mochi especially those with fillings, also known as Daifuku. It is a traditional Japanese sweet made out of glutinous rice flour and covered with a layer of corn starch/flour to prevent them from sticking together.

I adapted this recipe from Lee Lee and changed it to include matcha (green tea powder).

The big ones were filled with red bean paste and the bite-sizes were just plain mochi (my kids prefer the plain ones). My shaping sucks big time but the kids don't mind, not at all. Practise makes perfect and I'm sure I can do a better job next time ;-)

When straight out from the microwave, the dough was hot and sticky, thus it was difficult to wrap and shape. The first few I made have very thick skin (see picture below) and I thanked my lucky stars when the kids requested for plain ones :P

The matcha flavour was not strong and I could hardly taste it. Will have to increase the matcha to 1 1/2 tsp next time.

I kept some in the fridge to see if they will remain soft the next day. This was taken on the 2nd day, straight from the fridge without thawing and to my pleasant surprise, it was still soft when I bite into it :)

Mochi (aka Daifuku)
Ingredients
100 g glutinous rice flour
1 tsp matcha powder
180ml water
50g sugar
Red bean paste
Corn flour for dust

Method

  1. In a microwavable safe bowl, put glutinous rice flour + matcha + water and mix well to paste. Add sugar and mix till dissolved.
  2. Cover with clingwrap (leaving a small gap for hot air to escape) and microwave on High for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir well with a wooden spoon.
  3. Cover and return to microwave for 1 minute on Medium. Stir well and check for doneness. If not, return it to microwave for another 1 minute on Medium. Be careful not to overcook/burn it.
  4. Sprinkle some corn flour on work area and use a spoon to drop a ball of dough on top. Coat dough with corn flour all over. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
  5. Lightly flour your hands, wrap red bean paste with dough and seal the opening with a tight pinch. Roll into a ball and cover with more corn flour to prevent them from sticking.
  6. Serve and enjoy!

8 comments:

DG said...

Mochi is my favourite too. :)

Evy said...

Thanks for the recipe!. Mochi is my favourite as well.

Cookie said...

I still have some kou-fen (cooked glutinous rice flour from the snowskin mooncake) which I am complating if it is suitable for making mochi...

Let's see let's see!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Cookie,
You've reminded me that I've got some kou fen sitting on my counter top too! I think no harm trying since it's not much effort. I'm going to try it with kou fen when my kids recover from their cough. Thanks for the reminder ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, i'm interested in many of ur matcha recipes, but may i knw where i can buy matcha powder from? Do supermarkets sell?

Blessed Homemaker said...

The matcha was a gift from my bro's Japanese friend. Some bloggers mentioned they bought their matcha from Cold Storage/NTUC. Otherwise you can try Japanese supermarkets.

Unknown said...

This look simple. But , I loveeeeeee it! thanks for sharing!

藤島明輝子 said...

Actually in Japan we use steamed short grain sweet rice and then pound it into a smooth paste, or use a mochi machine. We do not use mochiko (sweet rice flour), and we use potato starch for dusting, not corn starch. Try using potato starch, you will find you won't have such a thick layer of white over your mochi and daifuku, as the potato starch is much lighter. ^__^