Thursday, October 15, 2009

Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not a cookie person so that explains why I hardly bake cookies. When I had a can of expiring condensed milk, I had to search for recipes using condensed milk and I vaguely remember Stefanie's cookie recipe in Kitchen Capers. I made this once last year but never again simply because I don't usually stock up on condensed milk.

I started off with 2 teaspoons, scooped up the dough (bite-size) and using the back of a spoon to push it onto the lined baking tray. But after filling up 1/2 tray, I still have 3/4 dough. To speed up the process, I decided to shape them with my hands (I used disposable plastic gloves), it was a much easier and quicker process.

I made some cookies bigger, about 2.5" diameter and these are for SL.

See the difference in size? I thought the bigger cookie looks more presentable but with young children at home, it's easier to give them bite-sizes cookies to minimise cleaning up crumbs on the ground. But even with such petite sizes cookies, I still have to pick up after DD1. Sigh...

I don't like to cool my bakes on the rack directly so I always cool them on top of a kitchen towel. Check out the amount of oil on the kitchen towel!

This is a very delicious cookie with sugar reduced. It is crispy on the outside yet soft inside. I don't like crunchy cookies and this is just perfect for me. For those who want more crisp, just need to extend baking time by another 2 - 3 mins. Similarly said, if you want a more chewy texture, bake it 2 - 3 mins shorter.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
125g softened butter
1 tbsp brown sugar (originally calls for 3 tbsp brown sugar)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup (100g) condensed milk
½ cup chopped almonds, toasted (I didn't bother to toast)
100g mini bittersweet chocolate chips
1 and ½ cup plain flour
1 and ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 to 2 tbsp milk

Method
  1. Beat butter with sugar till combined, with a wooden spoon.
  2. Sift in cocoa powder and salt, beat to combine.
  3. Pour in condensed milk, beat well to mix. Alternatively, use a whisk from step one.
  4. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
  5. Sift in flour and fold to combine, add a little milk to moisten if dough seems too dry.
  6. Shape dough into small balls, flatten slightly and place on a lined cookie sheets.
  7. Bake in preheated oven of 170C for 9 to 10 minutes.
  8. Cool completely.

4 comments:

Irene said...

nice! thumbs up!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks! Let me know how it turn out for you when you make them.

Anonymous said...

Cool. i was actually thinking of making chocolate chip cookies. will try yr recipe for sure!

cherry potato said...

wow, these look like famous amos cookies leh...