Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gula Melaka Agar Agar

It had been a while since DD1 last updated her blog and today she wanted to blog about the Gula Melaka Agar Agar I made over the weekends. Initially, she wanted to post the recipe in her blog but since I've not posted mine, I told her to wait till I've uploaded pics and recipe before I help her with her blog.

I was so preoccupied with my cooking and baking and I didn't have time to blog about this. Actually, I've tried out quite a few new recipes but didn't have time to blog, yet. And since DD1 has already posted this in her blog and she included a link to my blog, I better update mine too.

I saw this recipe in Lily Ng's blog and since I've got some condensed milk to finish up, this is it. However, I didn't shred the milk layer originally called for, I adapted Lee Lee's pattern agar agar.


Again, the kids were thrilled! :-) However, they prefer the brown agar agar over the milk layer agar agar. I brought some back to my parents and they like it too.

Ingredients
The Milk Layer
1 tbsp agar agar powder
600 ml water
80g condensed milk

Method
  1. Cook the milk layer by putting 600 ml water in a saucepan and turn on the heat, then whisk in agar agar.
  2. Cook until agar agar is dissolved, then add in the condensed milk.
  3. Pour into a cake pan to cool. Put in the fridge to set. When it is set, use a cutter to cut out the pattern.
  4. Use a skewer or cake tester or satay stick or toothpick to remove the cut-outs and leave it aside. Leave the tray in the fridge while you cook the brown layer.
The brown layer
1 packet (13g) agar agar powder
1100 ml water
180g gula melaka
70g sugar

Method

  1. While the milk layer is in the fridge, cook the brown layer by boiling all the ingredients together until dissolved.
  2. Pass through a fine sieve.
  3. Pour 1/2 portion of cooked brown layer over the prepared tray. Leave it to cool down and leave it fridge to harden. Cut out into individual square to show the cut out star in each square.
  4. Place cut-out stars into small jelly moulds and fill up with balance brown layer.
  5. Leave to cool before putting into the fridge to set.
  6. When set, unmould and serve.

5 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

One of my Malay friend do a good gula Melaka agar-agar, but your one look not bad also.

Irene said...

can replace gula melaka with something else since I cant get gula melaka?

Irene said...

it's ok, I just found out that gula melaka is palm sugar, which I have here.

Quinn said...

Great minds do think alike. I was inspired by Lily and Baking Mum too that's why mine looks like this:

http://bakingquinn.blogspot.com/2009/09/starry-agar-agar-batik.html

Isn't it similar to yours!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Quinn,
Both of us used the same star shaped cutter! What a coincidence!