Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Steamed Sponge Cake with Meat Floss

Another interesting recipe I found on the net, it's a steamed sponge cake with meat floss! Since my kids like meat floss, I just had to make this.


I didn't have any self raising flour at home so I used plain flour and added baking powder and baking soda. Also, I reduced the sugar slightly and it's just right for my family. The cake is soft and fluffy but slightly messy to eat as the floss on the top layer kept falling off. I'll omit the top layer the next time I make this.

Ingredients
(A)
100g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

(B)
3 eggs
40g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

(C)
30ml milk
30g vegetable oil

(D)
50g pork floss

Method
  1. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and sift twice.
  2. Beat the eggs, sugar and cream of tartar until it turns thick and pale.
  3. Fold in the sifted flour mixture.
  4. Fold in the milk and oil.
  5. Pour half the batter into a 8-in round tin lined with baking sheet.
  6. Sprinkle half of the pork floss on the batter.
  7. Pour another half of the batter into the tin and sprinkle the remaining pork floss on the surface.
  8. Steam for 15 - 20 minutes.
  9. Serve.

9 comments:

Piggy said...

Yours looks really good! Glad that you like the recipe. :-)

dennis-cynthia said...

hi,my name is cynthia and i saw u commented on happyflour looking for cheey gingerbread cookie recipe. im looking for it as well..not many ppl know abt gingerbread cookie in indonesia..and im craving for some! if you found it, do let m know? tx much

chambali@gmail.com

Blessed Homemaker said...

Cynthia,
I didn't know that soft gingerbread cookie originated from Indonesia :P I'm still in search for such a recipe too and planning to bake them this year for Xmas. Do check out my blog for recipe(s).

dennis-cynthia said...

Hi, ooh u misunderstood-of coz gingerbread is not from indonesia! I'm from indonesia and looking for the recipe as well.most indonesian don't even know the taste!ill b in spore nx wk for 2 days-which cake decoration supplier shd I go°˚˚°o to?any recommendation?tx!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Cynthia,
My apologies for the misunderstanding. Didn't know you are from Indonesia :P

Just to name a few bakeware shops that you might be interested (NOT in order of preference):

Sun Lik @ Seah Street
Chong Trading @ The Adelphi
Pantry Magic @ Chip Bee Gardens
Kitchen Capers @ Kallang Bahru
Phoon Huat

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

How much self-raising flour to use to make this ? Is cream of tartar compulsory ?

Blessed Homemaker said...

You may use 100g SRF plus 1/2 tsp baking powder. Cream of tartar is used to stablise the whisk eggs. Alternatively, you may replace with 1 TBSP lemon juice.

Ean said...

Hi i tried to make it, but it taste acidic?..due to the baking soda?

Blessed Homemaker said...

I don't have this problem, sorry not much help here.