Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Strawberry Chocolate Cake

There was a minor accident back home and I've not been in my best state of mind (you'll find out why at the end of this entry).  My initial plan was to make a cake with chocolate transfer for DD3's 3rd birthday but due to the accident, I was too preoccupied with my children and didn't bother to go hunting for the necessary ingredients.  I was more than prepared to get a store bought cake for her.

The wound seem to heal fast so I'm finally able to breathe a sign of relief.  It was only decided on Sunday to bake her a cake.  However, I haven't got much ingredients in my pantry and I have no plans to lug the whole troop to the nearest bakeware shop.  Remembering that Wendy has a Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe, I turned on my computer, praying that she'll be online.  Bingo!  As usual, she is really patient to answer all my queries.

I baked a chocolate chiffon cake layered with Nutella buttercream (I'll blog about this in my next post), and did a ganache to cover the flaws.  Unfortunately, my ganache didn't turn out well.  First, I left it to cool for a bit too long, thus the ganache was slightly thick when I poured over the cake.  The ganache didn't cover the sides completely so I had to pour another layer over.  But  as I was attending to DD3, I left the ganache over simmering fire and that caused the ganache to be overheated. I read that you can salvage an overmelt/heat chocolate by adding a few drops of vegetable oil, little by little, stir till the chocolate is soft again.  Anyway, I didn't bother.

Wondering why I have so many strawberries on the cake?  It's because one strawberry dropped right in the middle of the cake and I had to cover up the blob :P

About the accident... I was cutting DD3's hair and she moved.  I cut her skin and it was so near her eye.  She cried for almost half an hour.  It's just so unlike her as her pain tolerance level is usually quite high.  Freak the hell out of me and I've been applying aloe vera gel on her constantly (easily 10 times that day).

On the 2nd day, her wound seemed more obvious and my heart hurts even more.

The wound dries up to form scab and it is common for the wound to itch.  This was the most tiring period  as I was so afraid she might scratch it off accidentally during the healing process and we'll have to start all over again.  She did scratch but I managed to stop her in time.  Half the scab was dangling on the wound and it took a day to peel off by itself.  Phew!

Some folks felt that I've over-reacted, some thought I've exaggerated.  And there are some who told me it's ok, take it as a lesson learnt since it's not too serious.  Many told me kids recover very fast. I know that too but still, I'm worried that it might leave a scar behind and I'll feel terribly guilty. 

I watched Life Reconstructed, a local TV program about why plastic surgery is important to some people, not for aesthetic reasons but for medical reasons.  The episode featuring burnt casualties made me feel better.  Yes, I've been reminded that life is not just about physical beauty and you don't need to be beautiful to be a great person.

Coincidentally, bakericious is hosting Aspiring Bakers # 5: Fruity March (March 2011) so I'm sending in my submission.

Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
3 egg yolks
20g castor sugar
45ml corn oil
pinch of salt

(B)
60ml warm water
2 tsp cocoa powder
* mix together

(C)
75g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
* sifted

(D)
3 egg whites
1/3 tsp cream of tartar
30g castor sugar

Method
  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add cocoa mixture. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder and baking soda, mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into 7" round pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Bake at pre-heated oven of 165 deg.C for 10 mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for another 35 - 40 mins.
  11. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.
  12. Layer into 2 layers and set aside for further use.

23 comments:

DG said...

The cake looks fluffy & yummy with the chocolate ganache on it. I'm so sorry tho hear the accident happened to your DD3, and thanks God that she recover fast. I know how you feel, it happened to my DS2, he scratched himself on his face with end sharping of the toy, it's about 5 cm (from cheek and almost hit his own eye). I was so scared at that time that there would me a mark left, but thanks now there is no mark left, except a very soft line visible if you notice it carefully. So, don't worry too much. Take care!

j3ss kitch3n said...

beautiful cake reena, abt your girl, don't worry too much the scare will heal!

PiggyMummy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the cut near her eye. It must have been very painful and shocking for her. Like you, I freaked out when my little boy got a cut across his cheek by a bobby pin, while in a fitting room. It took quite long for the scar to disappear. So don't worry, the scar will be gone, but it will take some time. Hope your gal is feeling now!

Bakericious said...

Reena, thanks for the participating, the cake still looks very good. Your daughter's wound recovering well and fast, so dun worry. At least you are able to stop her from scratching but for my gal, her finger is just simply to itchy that causes she has a lot of scar all over her body including face. My husband even told me if the scar on her face not going to fade off, he is going to send her to plastic surgery :P.

ewe said...

hi there , actually i been coming to your blog for sometime but din really drop a comment , tilll tosay i found myself beening rude to you as i din even say a thank you for your recipies sharing . i always try out yours with commenting . once again a big Thanks you you .

Happy Homebaker said...

I am glad your daughter has recovered :) I already freak out when I accidentally fling my hand onto my boy's face causing his nose to bleed profusely. I felt so guilty even though it was an accident. '针没刺到肉不知道痛', you don't have to care too much about others comments. I have not made any layered cake for a long time, how I wish I can have a slice of yours right now!

WendyinKK said...

Oh, glad to see DD3's wound healing well. If I'm not online, just leave me an online message and I'll get back to you :)

About the cake, haha, not too skimpy with the cream la, still ok la.

E. said...

My heart hurts for you. The love of a mother is always so strong, so when they see their child hurt they'll usually worry a lot. Your daughter looks like she's recovering nicely though. I have a story for you. When I was little, in elementary school, someone was swinging me around. When she set me down, I was really dizzy and I fell and bumped my head against the metal rod of a chair. It was right next to my eye, a little underneath my eyebrow. I had to go to the hospital and get 4 stitches. Right now, I'm a teenager and you can't even notice it unless it's under a certain light. :) So don't worry too much, your daughter will be perfectly fine. Take care and God bless you!

The Sweetylicious said...

the cake stil look really good, delicious and nice layering (:
you must have felt really bad. but, luckily she's fine (:

busygran said...

Glad that your girl has recovered. I can understand the trauma you went through.
The cake looks nice, soft and moist. Anything chocolate always comes through well!

CaThY said...

Such a pretty chocolate cake. Yum yum.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Aiyo...I can understand your heartache then...were you using scissors? Why not get a hair trimmer, it's a lot safer. I make-do with my epilator which comes with a shaver head to cut my son's hair when he's still a baby. After he turned one, I just took him to a barber la.

Alice said...

Hi!
I can understand how u feel as I'm a mummy myself
Soglad its all over now :)
THe cake looks yummy - I want plzzzzzz :P

Janine said...

glad that nothing too serious happened! i'll be waiting for your nutella buttercream post because it sounds and looks delicious! :D

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie said...

That Strawberry Cake looks amazing!!

Glad that your daughters injury is not worse...scary alright.

I always cut my children's hair too. Once, when giving my 5 year old son a "brush cut", I forgot to put the attachment on the shaver.

I did one swipe with the (electric) razor from front to back, then realized the bald strip...it was a "Mohawk cut" in reverse! lol... so I had no choice but to shave him bald...that was years ago when few people shaved their heads.....he was so forgiving...it often bothers us more than them!!

Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

hi BH,
This is huskie from Cooking thread.
Maybe you'd like to try the Panasonic ER3300 Baby Hair Trimmer. It was recommended by another SAHM. Can be purchased from Best Denki/major dept stores at $49.90. I just bought it and it works pretty well on dd's fringe.

My Little Space said...

OMG, this is so dangerous!Luckily, you didn't hurt other part of her face. Try to be much more careful next time.
Blessings, Kristy

Hilda said...

Oh, don´t feel guilty, your love is stronger than the damage en your dougther face...but I understand u.

Delicious cake, I would take a peace.

Kisses from Spain

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for all your kind words, concern and sharing of your experiences. DD3 is recovering well and the regular GP we visit assures me that she will recover well.

muimui said...

Yummy! I love chocolate, hope yr daughter is getting better. My daughter also had a cut near her eyes on the left side near her eyes lid which requires 13 stiches. I was also feeling very gulity, as it happens when i'm bathing her. But sometime accidental do happen, we can't do anything. Cheer up:_) Currently, i am still using this on her as her scar is very deep and red till now.You can try buying it at watson or drugs store. ( Hiruscar blue and yellow colour). It will help scars to appear less visible, smoother and softer. Hope it helps.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Muimui,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check it out at the stores.

On certain days, her scar is not obvious but on some days, it seemed red and obvious.

Anonymous said...

hi can the corn oil b replaced with butter?or sth else?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi, I've not tried replacing oil with butter. But if you want to try, you'll need to melt the butter first and leave it to cool before adding into the batter.