Thursday, January 21, 2010

Almond Crisps

This is another quick and easy recipe that requires no mixer!  Also, it is a low cholesterol cookie as there's no egg yolk in this cookie.



Gina of Kitchen Capers shared this in her forum and many bakers gave thumbs up when they tried it.  However, Gina warned that this is a very tedious bake although it's really yummy.

I used my frozen stash of egg whites and instead of doing the full recipe, I halved it.  Sugar was also reduced to cater to my family's need and vanilla essence was omitted.


You are supposed to use the back of a spoon and spread the mixture into rounds.  I did that for the first 5pcs and gave up.  Simply too time consuming and I don't have so much time to waste.  So I spreaded the mixture with a spoon and lay some almond flakes onto the mixture.


This is how it looks like when baked.  Just break up into pieces, so quick and easy ;-)  However, one baker feedbacked that she had problem removing the cookies from the parchment paper.  The trick is to remove the cookie while it is still warm.

Almond Crisps
Ingredients
1 egg white
30 g sugar (I'll use 20g next time)
25 g plain flour, sifted
Almond flakes

Method
  1. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
  2. Add sugar to egg white, stir to mix and dissolve sugar.
  3. Add sifted flour to mix. Mixture should be creamy.
  4. Pour the mixture onto the prepared tray and using the back of a spoon, spread it out thinly.
  5. Lay almond flakes in a single layer onto the mixture.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 180 C for 12 - 15 mins or golden brown.
  7. Remove to cool slightly outside the oven before removing cookie from baking paper.
  8. Break the cookies into random pieces and enjoy.

18 comments:

Wen said...

Thanks for sharing. That's a good way to finish up balance egg whites and I will definitely give it a try.

Evy said...

Oh I must try this out!..Pretty easy to make and I am sure that it is delicious as well.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I will have a lot of egg white when I cake CNY cookie, so I can use egg white to bake this.Thanks for sharing.

Adrianne said...

Looks easy! I used to make this from a Florenta mix but find it too sweet to my liking. I didn't know you can make this out of egg whites, sugar and flour!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wen, thanks for dropping by my blog.

Evy, definitely easy peasy.

Sonia, I have another egg white recipe (uses 500g egg whites). I'll try to make the cake once I've enough egg whites. It should come in handy for you too.

Adrianne, do give it a try and let me know how it turned out for you.

ann low said...

Hello,
This is very nice to eat. I made this too during Christmas last year. You may like to take a look.
BTW, thanks for coming to blog, please visit often.

3 hungry tummies said...

looks very delicious! love this to go with my tea!

shy kitchen said...

Must try must try ..... Thanks for sharing this recipe which uses egg whites only.

Pei-Lin said...

It's been a while since I made such cookie! Are these some sort of tuile? Yours look good!

Pei-Lin

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anncoo, your biscuits are so pretty!

3 hungry tummies/shy kitchen, do give it a try and let me know how it turned out for you :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Pei-Lin,
They are crispy like tuile except that they are flat cookies and not curved. You've just given me an idea to make them into fancy shapes :) Thanks!

WendyinKK said...

Crispy almond crisps.... yummy

I've got an award for u at my blog, pls collect it. Thanks

shy kitchen said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker,

Thanks again for your recipe. Used to think they were very difficult to bake. BTW, failed the first time as can't manage to remove the cookies from the baking paper. For the second trial, I replace it with greased aluminum foil.

The taste was good and my children love it very much. You may want to checkout how your follower score :-)

Unknown said...

Hi.
This looks easy but do you roast the almond flakes before putting it on the mixtures

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Anne,
They taste better with roasted almonds but I was plain lazy so I just used them from the pack.

Anonymous said...

Hi, like to check with you, why my almond crisps stick to the parchment paper. I cant remove them at all. No choice but to throw away. Can you advise me ? Thanks. Wendy

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Wendy, I've heard of this problem. A few ways to prevent sticking is:
1. Use Glad parchment paper
2. Remove the cookie while it is still hot.

Else, you may want to do what one blogger mentioned here, ie to grease the aluminium foil/parchment paper before pouring in the batter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Will give it a try again:)
Rgds Wendy