Totoro Cream Puffs by Fatmum and finally made some yesterday for our afternoon tea. The concept came from Anna's blog with step-by-step pics to guide you on how to make Totoro cream puffs.
Instead of following the cream puff recipe, I used back my trusted recipe here which was originally from Florence's blog.
Totoro Cream Puffs
Ingredients (8 puffs)
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla essence (I omit)
50g bread flour
20g cake flour
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Cook water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan till bubbling hot. Turn the heat to low.
- Add in the flour mixture in one go and mix with a wooden spoon till a dough is formed.
- Still on low heat, cook the dough for 1 - 2 minutes till a thin white film is formed at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and beat till it is lukewarm.
- Add in egg by thirds and mix till well blended and smooth.
- Place batter into piping bag and pipe it onto a lined pan in rounds of about 5cm in diameter. Spray some water on it.
- Bake at 200C for 25 minutes then 180C for 8 - 10 minutes or till dry and golden brown in color. Turn off the oven and let it cool in the oven for 30 minutes.
240ml skim milk
4 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg + 2 yolks
2 tbsp cornstarch
- Mix 60ml of milk with the cornstarch till smooth.
- Add the beaten egg and yolks into the cornstarch mixture.
- Boil the remaining milk with sugar in a saucepan till bubbling hot. Pour 1/3 of this hot milk into the egg cornstarch mixture. Stirring all the time.
- Now pour the egg cornstarch mixture through a strainer into the rest of the boiling milk. Stirring constantly till mixture thicken. Do not burn the custard.
- Cling wrap custard with glad wrap with the wrap touching the surface of the custard (this is to prevent a hard film forming on surface of the custard) and chill till ready to use.