Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chocolate Chips Muffins


When it comes to muffin, there are so many variations. What exactly is the correct texture of a muffin? I've tried both the creaming method and also the wet mixture added into the dry mixture. The creaming method yields a much softer texture but of course, it takes abit more effort.

I'm always in search of quick & easy recipes and that explains why I always use the latter method but DH doesn't like such muffins. He finds it too dense.

I used to wake up 1/2 hour earlier in the morning to prepare freshly baked muffins for kids' breakfast. Not anymore now. I'm already suffering from insomnia and sleeping 4 -5 hours daily. If I were to wake up any earlier, that means my sleeping time will be further reduced. How can anyone survive with 3 - 4 hours sleep in the night and no naps in the day?

Since I'm suffering from insomnia again last night, I decided to bake some chocolate chips muffins for kiddos' breakfast. I do not want to dwandle away my time in front of the laptop, might as well make the best use of it.

I've got this recipe for the longest time but have never baked it before. Don't even know where I got this recipe from.

Some time back, I bought a packet of converture droplets (bittersweet) by mistake (it's the staff's fault as I was told this is the one for making ganache). Instead of using 100% chocolate chips, I used 50% converture droplets and 50% chocolate chips.

While the muffins were baking in the oven, I saw oil oozing out from the muffins! Eiks! It seems very oily to me. Told myself this is probably the first and last time to bake them. When the muffins are finally done, I couldn't wait for it to cool and took a bite. It's not as oily as I thought. Hmm.. looks like I may bake this again.

DD1 didn't like it as the convertures were too bitter for her (I personally prefer bitter chocolates). Surprisingly, DS2 likes them. So now I'm in a dilemma if I should bake these again.

Chocolate Chips Muffin
Ingredients
115g butter
30g caster sugar (sugar already reduced)
30g brown sugar
2 eggs
175g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
120ml milk
150g chocolate chips
20g chocolate chips, extras to sprinkle on top

Method
  1. Sift 2x plain flour and baking powder, set aside for further use.
  2. Cream butter until soft.
  3. Add both sugars and beat till light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in eggs, one at a time and mix well.
  5. Fold sifted flour into butter mixture, alternating with milk.
  6. Add chocolate chips into batter and mix well.
  7. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin tin and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
  8. Bake at 180C for 20 - 25 mins or till skewer comes out clean. Stand for 5 mins before removing to cool onto rack.
The baking time & temp is set for Tecno TEO 3400.

10 comments:

Irene said...

what's "cream"?

Jackie said...

Lately i found out about Betty Crocker Muffin Mix. It takes only 20 mins, very fast and what's important is that it tastes YUMMY!

Like you, i wake up 1/2 hrs earlier to prepare the muffins using the Betty Crocker premix, and my DD will wake up in the aroma of muffins, bring the freshly homebaked muffins to school.

You might want to try out, the cookies mix also good.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Irene,
"Cream" is to beat till the mixture looks "soft" and well mixed. The mixture will change into a light creamy consistency. Hths.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Jackie,
Thanks! I first started off with the premix too but I find them too sweet.

Angelene said...

Do u use an electric mixer or just a bowl and a spoon?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Angelene,
No need mixer, just manual whisk and spatula.

Angelene said...

hey thanks! just gt to noe yr blog. really love reading yr blog n very tempted to try all the mouthwatering recipes esp the bread :) I'm a SAHM with 3 young kids too who just moved to melbourne. it's tough juggling hsework looking aft them.. eonder hw u find them to bake n cook n experiment with recipes! any parenting n time mgt tips to share?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm glad you have enjoyed yourself here.

I don't have any tips on parenting/time mgt but I just learn to take things easy. I used to be very up tied about schedules but not anymore now. Between a super mom and a happy mom, I choose the latter ;)

Rose Quartz said...

Hi there, chance upon yr blog, so interesting, so many things to read. I love baking too.
One question abt the chocolate muffins. What do u mean by stir 2 x flour? 2 times the quantity? Let me know. Tks ya!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Rose Quartz,
Sift the flour 2 times.