Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ham & Cheese Bread II


I've been baking loaves after loaves of bread, I think I should seriously consider buying the 25kg pack instead of 1kg pack bread flour. I've already used up almost 3kg of flour within 1.5 weeks!


I finally found out where to buy Gruyère cheese but unfortunately the location is slightly out of the way. Have no other options but to make do with the easily available cheddar cheese. Again, I omit mayo and cheddar cheese as fillings. I also sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top, thank goodness the taste is not too overwhelmed.


To save time, electricity and effort, I doubled the recipe and baked pork floss buns too.


I had an extra bread dough that couldn't fit into my pan so I greased a muffin cup and put the dough inside. I like this as it looks very dainty, however the pic is overly exposed and I do not know how to correct it. What the heck, I'll just leave it as it is.



I guess my first attempt has deter me from adding cheese too generously to my bread dough. And now, the bread looks so pathetic :(



I still like this best, unfortunately I made a dent while removing it from the oven.



And here's a cross-section of the inside :)


I'm posting my modified recipe here for recording purposes.

Original recipe can be found here

Ingredients
Bread Dough

400 g Bread Flour
2 tsp Instant dried yeast
4 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
60 g Unsalted butter (soft)
270 ml whole milk

Fillings
(A) - this is good for 1/2 recipe as posted here
4 slices Ham (I use Shoulder/Leg Ham)
40 g Cheddar Cheese (grated)
Parmesan cheese - as desired

(B)
Pork floss - as desired


Method

  1. Put the flour and yeast in a bowl, whisk to combine, add the sugar and salt whisk again. Pour the milk mixture into the bowl, use large spoon to mix everything together. Put the butter in the bowl and rub until all butter is distributed, and knead briefly to bring all the ingredients together. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead, until the dough is soft, smooth and elastic about 10 minutes (I use my bread machine to knead the dough)
  2. Put the dough into a light buttered bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 hour. Line a baking paper in the pan and set aside.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Tecno TEO 3400 - use 170°C). Take the dough out of the bowl. Gently press down the dough and a rolling pin to roll the dough to press the dough into a rectangle, about 25x25 cm. Brush the mayonnaise over the dough then scatter cheddar cheese all over and place the ham on top. (I omit mayo and cheddar cheese, just lay ham on top of bread dough)
  4. Roll the dough toward you starting at the top, gently pressing as you go to form a tight log. Cut the dough into 6 pieces, then place the dough, cut side down in the prepared pan.
  5. Scatter Gruyère cheese all over the top. Let the dough rise until almost double in size.
  6. Bake for 25 mins or until the bread is golden and the cheese is slightly brown.

2 comments:

Irene said...

how u managed to put all d H&C into d pan? I had problem, that's why ended with uneven buns..

Blessed Homemaker said...

You probably didn't cut your bread in equal sizes. Also, your pan may be too small and when the bread proved the 2nd time, it's too near to your heating element.