Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lemon Yogurt Cranberries Chiffon Cake

When it comes to chiffon cakes, most of us will associate it with Pandan, Orange and Coffee. So when I saw this recipe, and being a cranberry fan, I knew I just have to try it out. And with readily available homemade yogurt, I made this.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten the basic step to coat the cranberries with some flour first (this shows how long I've not been baking butter cakes). All the cranberries sank to the bottom, my heart sank too when I saw this :(

Sliced a piece to try and I must say the taste is unique. It's unlike the usual chiffon flavours. It's slightly sour and the yogurt combination with cranberries is heavenly. I'm definitely going to bake this again.
Lemon Yoghurt Cranberries Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
(A)
4 egg yolks
40g castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
120g plain yoghurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
80g dried cranberries (I use Delmonte's)
zest of 1 lemon

(B)
120g Cake flour
1/2 tbsp Baking powder
*Sift 2x

(C)
5 egg whites
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar (I use 1 Tbsp lemon juice)

Method
  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add oil and salt, whisk and add yoghurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour, cranberries and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated.
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into a 21cm chiffon tube pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Oil a piece of aluminium foil and cover the pan loosely. Bake at 170 deg.C for 10mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 160 deg.C and bake for 10mins. Lift up the foil to check the surface of cake, bake for another 10mins.
  11. Insert a skewer to check if cake is done. Remove the foil and reduce the temperature to 150 deg.C and bake for a further 5 to 10mins to brown the surface.
  12. Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Remove the cake from pan when it's completely cooled.
*Note : For convention oven, preheat and bake at 170 to 180 deg.C for 40 to 45mins.

Own Notes using Tecno TEO 3400 oven:
1. Cover the pan loosely with a piece of oiled aluminium foil. Bake at 170C for 15 mins.
2. Reduce heat to 160C and continue to bake for another 15 mins.
3. Remove aluminium foil and check for doneness. Reduce heat to 150C and bake for another 10 - 15 mins to brown the surface.

2 comments:

Ean said...

Hi if I cannot get cake flour, can I replace with self raising flour? Thanks

Blessed Homemaker said...

I suppose it is ok to use SFR but rem to omit baking powder. Else, you might want to replace cake flour with plain flour, no prob at all.