Saturday, April 18, 2009

Traditional Sponge Cake


This is a recipe from our local DJ Fenying's foodblog. I've tried a different recipe before but I find the cake too dry and crumbly. Auntie A made this and gave me some to try. I like the texture of this cake and have made this a few times.

Be sure to beat the eggs to ribbon stage. This means that if you use your whisk with batter to write the number "8" on the batter, it won't sink in but will appear visible for a while. I didn't manage to take a good pic as my right hand was holding the whisk and my left hand with the camera. I think my left hand wasn't stable and I moved when trying to snap a pic of it.


This is how my batter looks like after adding in the flour.


And here's the batter after adding in 7-up.


Traditional Sponge Cake
Ingredients
(A)
Egg : 200g (I use 4 eggs, 60g with shell)
Sugar : 230g (I use 180g)

(B)
Hong Kong flour : 230g (can replace using Cake Flour)

(C)
7-up : 75g (or any fizzy drinks)


Method
  1. Use high speed beat eggs till fluffy
  2. Add in sugar gradually and continue beating till well- blended, turn off the power
  3. Fold in the flour in 3 portions
  4. Add in Ingredients C and mix well
  5. Pour mixture into 20cm round bamboo basket lined with glass paper till 90% full
  6. Sprinkle a handful of sugar such that it forms a cross on the surface of mixture
  7. Steam over high heat for half an hour

8 comments:

Shopaholic2802 said...

OOooo I love this....must go try...

Shopaholic2802 said...

Questions: Wat is glass paper? Where can I get the round bamboo Tray?

Blessed Homemaker said...

I use baking paper and my 8" round baking pan.

Jackie said...

we love Ji Dan Gao very much.

Irene said...

ai ya, I get d bamboo tray at Tampines if u r really interested..

Ean said...

can i use plain flour instead of the cake flour?

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi Ean, yes, you may replace it with plain flour.

lex said...

Hi there, I tried making this but..why was mine so dense and pudding like? not like a sponge cake at all? I've never been able to succeed making a steamed cake! Any tips?