Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fa Gao (发糕)

I've made this 3 times, only the first time being most successful. I made them in muffin tins.

1st attempt: all 8 bloomed nicely
2nd attempt: 5 bloomed and 3 "bald"
3rd attempt: all 8 "bald"

I was disheartened and never make this ever again.

Yesterday, MIL asked if I know how to make 发糕. I didn't dare to commit but went ahead to try it when I got home. As I do not have self raising flour, I replaced it with plain flour + baking powder + powder soda + salt. The 发糕 didn't "smile" to me :-(

I made it again this morning, using SRF and this is what I get. Not too successful though but at least I see the 4 segments.



My sister E makes this very often so I seeked her advice. I made it again using orange sugar but still using plain flour instead. Very disappointing result. The strange thing is, I didn't used SRF in my 1st attempt but all the 发糕 bloomed. I'm not a fan of 发糕 but my 2 elder kids love it. Looks like I'll be making this again soon.



Recipe from Sister E
Method
1 cup Self Raising Flour
2/3 cup - 3/4 cup Water
1/3 - 1/2 cup Brown sugar

Method

1. Mix Self Raising Flour & Brown sugar into a mixing bowl

2. Add in water and mix until well-combined

3. Line aluminum cup with paper cups

4. Pour batter into cup till 90% full, steam on high heat for 15 minutes

No comments: