Tuesday, April 14, 2009

DIY Soft Butter


I'm a person who doesn't like to stick to a regular brand for long, especially food stuff (the same goes for toothpaste). The reason is simple. If product A has an excess XXX but a deficit in YYY, if you consume too much of product A, you'll have an excess in XXX and a deficit in YYY (isn't that obvious?). On the other hand, if product B has more YYY and less XXX, alternating between products A & B will give you a more "balanced" diet.

My family doesn't eat a lot of margarine but since I have this soft butter recipe on hand, there's no harm trying to DIY. This recipe is shared by S_ter in Kitchen Capers . You'll need to become a member in order to read the recipes there. However, I'll written to S_ter and she has agreed to let me publicise this recipe in my blog (thanks S_ter!).

I've made this twice, both using a small amount of butter to try out. First time I made it with Sunflower Oil, 2nd time with Olive Oil. I personally prefer the one with Olive Oil. However, I couldn't get the really soft consistency but it's spreadable if I were to thaw it for a few seconds. I suspect it's because I didn't zap the butter till really soft. I'll definitely try this again.


Homemade Soft Butter

Ingredients
200g butter
50g vegetable oil
(any oil of your preference but I prefer to use Olive Oil)


Method

  1. Microwave butter on medium for 20 seconds. Remove from microwave oven, cream the butter and return it to microwave for another 20 seconds. Repeat the process, if needed, till butter is really soft.
  2. Add 50g oil and stir to blend oil into creamed butter.
  3. Replace in fridge to "harden" into soft butter.

No comments: