Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yogurt Bread

With me getting more active in homemade yogurt making, I decided to try this Yogurt Bread from Pure Enjoyment's blog.

When it comes to bread making, I usually bake 1 recipe which is just enough for my family. When I first started to freeze my breads, it's all for economies of scale. Using the same amount of time to knead and bake, I yield 2 loaves instead of 1 :)

After reading Pure Enjoyment's post on her neglecting her primary objective to become a SAHM, I decided to bake less (or should I say, bake more in order to freeze more) so I can spend a little bit more time with DD1.

I baked one portion in loaf filled with raisins so we can just slice it and spread with butter/nutella/jam.


For the other portion, I shaped them into balls and topped with cheddar cheese and sprinkled some sugar on top.


Yogurt Bread
Ingredients
250g bread flour
15g sugar
3g salt
3g yeast
100g flavoured yogurt (I use homemade yogurt)
60g fresh milk
25g egg (about half an egg)
30g butter

Method
  1. Place all dry ingredients into the VM and mix for 10sec using variable speed 5.2
  2. Add in all wet ingredients and mix for 3 secs to form a dough.
  3. Switch to high speed. Knead dough by quickly turning the machine ON and OFF a few times. Stop the machine and use a wet spatula to scrape the dough from sides of container, pulling the dough toward the center of the mixture. Remove spatula and repeat the kneading process until the dough form a ball on top of the blades. Knead the dough for another 3 more minutes.
  4. Invert the container over a slightly greased large bowl to remove the dough. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling-wrap and leave it to proof in a warm place till double its size (about 1 hour).
  5. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
  6. Divide the dough into small portions of about 48g. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and placed them into a loaf pan.
  7. Cover the loaf pan with a cling wrap and allow the dough to go for second proofing until double its size again.
  8. Egg wash the top of the buns and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of each small bun.
  9. Bake in preheated oven at 170-180C for 20 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
  10. Remove bread from loaf pan to cool completely.
Own Notes:
Tecno TEO 3400: Bake at 160C for 15 - 20 mins

No comments: