Monday, April 13, 2009

Doughnuts

A few years ago, I bought a Penguin Waffle Maker by Morries. I don't have any fool-proof recipe then but thought the waffle will be well-liked by my kids so I just bought it.

When I was surfing Aunty Yochana's blog, I chanced upon her mini doughnut recipe. She uses an electric doughnut maker. I don't own one and I don't intend to get one. I thought the waffle maker might come in handy and gave it a try.


I can't seem to be able to fill the waffle maker with the right amount of batter. It's either too much or too little. When it's too much, the batter overflows while cooking. When it's too little, I get deformed penguins (see those feet?).


I made another batch and this time round, I filled it up with a little bit more batter and got an almost perfect penguin. I'll say this is the first time ever I've gotten such beautiful penguins.


The inside is soft and fluffy :)



Ingredients
75 gm. Plain flour
50 gm. sugar (I use 35g sugar)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
75 ml. fresh milk
1 large egg
30 gm. or 2 tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil
100 gm. caster sugar for coating (I omit)


Method

Preheat doughnut maker for 5 mins.

  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add the milk, egg and oil and stir till well mixed and smooth.
  3. Fill each hole with 10 ml. (1 dsp.) of batter.
  4. Close the lid and lock the latch.
  5. Bake for 2 mins.
  6. Remove cooked doughnuts and toss quickly in the caster sugar.
  7. Serve.

9 comments:

chicchicbaby said...

Oohh...I want to try this! Thanks for sharing Reena! Karen

SIG said...

May I know where you got this penguin waffle maker from? Tks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi SIG,
I bought mine from a store in Chinatown, can't rem the name though but it's a big departmental store above Pisces (I think it's CK now). I've also seen it in Courts and NTUC but price is dearer.

SIG said...

Wow, thanks! Is that departmental store still there? Think it's all CK now. When did you last see it at Courts? Thanks very much for your help. Trying to locate one. :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi SIG,
I bought this 2 - 3 years back, not sure if the store is still around. Saw in Courts and NTUC Homemart around that time too. Not sure if they are still carrying this item. You may want to call Courts to find out more. Sorry, not much of help here.

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

omg ... these penguins waffles look too cute to be eaten. I have not made any waffles for ages , thanks for reminding !

Blessed Homemaker said...

And thanks for your reminder as I've not used this waffle maker since my last post here.

mi bebe preciosio said...

hi,

I'm keen in buying the penguin waffle maker but just cant find it :( Please let me know if u happen to spot it somewhere or if you're interested sell off yours :)p Thanks a lot.

mibebepreciosio@gmail.com

Blessed Homemaker said...

mi bebe preciosio,
Try asking the staff, they may be able to help you.