Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fruit Cocktail Sponge Cake


This is the cake we made for my birthday. As you can see, I couldn't be bothered to give the cake a good frosting (not that I'm good in that hahaha). I just make sure that the cream suffice to cover the cake and let the kids decorate my cake. This looks more like crumb coating but who cares? Like I say, what's the point of doing up a nicely frosted cake with thick layers of cream and when people eat the cake, they scrape the cream away?

I prefer to do 3 layers cake but I guess I'm just too tired and did a 2 layers instead. Filled it with fruit cocktail and gave the kids some Fruit Loops and sugar biscuit (my childhood snack) for decoration.




I attempted this in 8" round. When I first baked this for DH's bday, I overbaked it and the cake was too dry.

I'm posting my modified recipe using 5 eggs (HBB's recipe uses 3 eggs) for my own reference.

Ingredients
165g cake flour
5 eggs, room temperature
80g sugar (sugar already reduced, if you have sweet tooth, you may use up to 150g)
30g unsalted butter, melted
50ml fresh milk

Method

  1. Sift cake flour, set aside. Line bottom and sides of an 18cm (7 inch) round pan with parchment paper, set aside. Pre-heat oven to 170degC. Position rack at the lower bottom of the oven.
  2. With an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar on HIGH speed for about 5 to 7 mins, until the batter double in volume and is ribbon-like (the beater should leave a ribbon-like texture when the batter is lifted up). Turn to LOW speed and whisk for another 1 to 2 mins. Whisking at low speed helps to stabilise the air bubbles in the batter.
  3. Add sifted cake flour into the batter. With a spatula, gently fold in the flour until well blended. Take care not to deflate the batter. (To ensure proper folding in of the flour, you can add the flour in three separate additions.)
  4. Add the melted butter, fold with spatula until well blended.
  5. Add in fresh milk, vanilla extract and fold in gently with spatula.
  6. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30~35 mins, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Unmold and invert onto cooling rack, cool completely.

Own Notes:
Tecno TEO 3400: Bake at 155C for 25 mins, lower temp to 150C and bake for another 5 - 10 mins.

2 comments:

Ezieta said...

it looks very tasty. I will try it.
Ela

Irene said...

Great looking cake! tell yr kids that I said so.. haha