Honestly speaking, I do not know if the kiddos really enjoy eating chiffons or I'm addicted to baking it. Ever since I've conquered my fear of baking chiffon cakes, I've been baking them at least once a week. Hahaha!
Florence posted this in Kitchen Capers and there are so much rave about it. I was very tempted to try but at that moment, I've no courage to try any chiffon cake making yet. Ever since my chiffon cake making is a success, I finally baked this.
The first time I baked this, I used store bought orange juice instead of freshly squeezed ones and I find that it not very fragrant. I can hardly taste any orange in this. This time round, I use freshly squeezed orange juice and it definitely smell and taste better!
As I've disfigured the cake while trying to unmould it, I didn't bother to take a pic of the whole cake.
Recipe for ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE
(for 20cm chiffon cake pan)
5 egg yolk
30g castor sugar
Salt 1/4 tsp
115g Cake Flour
3/4 tsp Baking powder
85ml Warm orange juice
Grated zest of 1 large orange
60ml Corn oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence or 2 tsp Rum (I omit)
5 egg white
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (I replace with 1 TBSP lemon juice)
- Sieve flour and baking powder.
- Use hand whisk to whisk egg yolk until creamy and light in colour. Add in corn oil then warm orange juice and rum.
- Add in flour mixture into yolk mixture lightly. Add in orange zest.
- Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour. Add in 50g sugar 3 times (a little at a time) and beat until stiff perks formed. About 8 - 10 minutes for 150w egg beater.
- Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (3) and blend well.
- Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and blend well.
- Bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.
Own Notes using Tecno TEO 3400 oven:
- Cover the pan loosely with a piece of oiled aluminium foil. Bake at 170C for 15 mins.
- Reduce heat to 160C and continue to bake for another 15 mins.
- Remove aluminium foil and check for doneness. Reduce heat to 150C and bake for another 10 - 15 mins to brown the surface.