Friday, January 1, 2010

Tang Yuan (湯圓) for Winter Solstice

Oops, I've been lagging again...  this was made so long ago but I clearly forgot about it until I saw Sonia's post here.


I kneaded some glutinous rice flour with water and sugar and added colourings to 2 portions.



DD1 helped to roll out the pink dough, DS2 the green ones and I did the white lot.  The kids enjoyed the rolling process and enjoyed eating it too :)

I didn't measure out the ingredients as my mom only vaguely explained through the phone to knead some glutinous rice flour with water and knead into a dough.  I prefer to add gula melaka to the soup as it enhanced the taste and fragrant of it.  However, I'm posting Sonia's recipe here for those who are interested.

Tang Yuan (湯圓)
Ingredients
200g Glutinous Rice Flour
1 tbsp Sugar
150ml Water (add more if the dough is too dry)
Colourings, optional

Syrup Soup
Ingredients
Water
Gula Melaka (or you can use brown sugar/rock sugar)
Some pandan leaves
1 thumbsize ginger (I like mine with extra spice so go easy on this one)

Method
  1. Mix glutinous rice flour and sugar in a bowl.  Add in water gradually until the mixture becomes the texture of dough.
  2. Divide the dough into 3 portions, add desired colours to each portion.
  3. Pinch off pieces from the dough and roll into small balls.
  4. Drop the balls into boiling water and cook them until they float.
  5. Bring a pot of water to boil.  Drop balls into the boiling water and cook them until they float.
  6. While the balls are cooking, prepare the syrup soup by putting all ingredients into a pot and brings it to boil.
  7. Put the cooked balls into the soup and serve.

2 comments:

Pei-Lin said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you & family!

Pei-Lin

Blessed Homemaker said...

Thanks Pei-Lin, Happy New Year to you too!