Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pandan Kaya Cake III


 
I made this for my birthday last April and drafted this on Valentine's Day, wanting to wish all my readers a very happy valentine's day.  But if was left in my draft until now :p

 

  
Having tried a few pandan chiffon recipes, I personally prefer the taste and texture of this.

Pandan Chiffon Cake
Adapted from Baking Mum (recipe taken from Prima's website)

Ingredients
(A)
4 Egg Yolks
40 g Castor Sugar
1 tbsp Pandan Juice
100 ml Coconut Milk
50 ml Corn Oil
Pinch of salt

(B)
100 g PrimaFlour Top Flour (I used plain flour)
1 tsp Baking Powder

(C)
5 Egg Whites
40 g Castor Sugar
1/3 tsp Cream of Tartar (I omit)

Method
  1. In a bowl, using hand whisk, whisk yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves.
  2. Add salt, pandan juice, coconut milk and oil to the yolk mixture.  Mix well.
  3. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth and set aside.
  4. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat till the whites are frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and beat till soft peaks.
  5. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
  6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture using a rubber spatula till incorporated
  7. Pour the mixture to the remaining egg whites and fold in gently till incorporated.
  8. Pour the batter into 8" round pan. Bang the pan on the table to get rid of bubbles.
  9. Bake at pre-heated oven of 170C for 10 - 15 mins.
  10. Turn down the temperature to 160C and bake for another 35 - 40 mins.
  11. Reduce temperature further to 150C and bake for another 10 - 15 mins to brown the surface.
  12. Remove from the oven and invert the pan to cool.

 For kaya layer, refer to recipe here

 

5 comments:

Alice said...

i always love this cake
i usually buy from bengawan solo
but i guess now i can make myself
thks for sharing :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Alice,
Ever since I started baking, I no longer buy commercial cakes. This is really easy, give it a try and let me know how it turn out for you.

Anonymous said...

May I know what's that white coating on the cake?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can I check how do u unmould the cake from ur 8 inch pan, especially the bottom part? Does it come with a removal base? Thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
I use a regular cake pan, not one with removable base.

I just use a thin spatula to go around the side of the cake. I do the same thing for the base too.