Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mixed Herbs Roast Chicken

It's that time of the month again, yes, time to change bedsheets!  I make it a point to change my bedsheets fortnightly because we've got a dog that sheds 365 days a year.  Though we're only a family of 5, we've got 8 pillows and 4 bolsters.  It is indeed a chore to change these frequently.

If you have been following my blog, you know I like to involve my children in my baking.  In addition, I get them to help out in simple household chores too.

DD3 pooped just when I was about the change the bedsheets.  DS2 was bored and asked "What should I do?".  I made a causaul remark for him to change the bedsheets and when I came out of the bathroom after washing DD3, I saw a busy boy :)






He is such a sweetie pie :)

--------------------------------------------------------

I bought a frozen bird last week and I cooked it for our dinner.  The important thing about roasting chicken is to PAT PAT PAT the chicken really dry to get a nice crispy skin.



Rubbed some sea salt onto the chicken, sprinkled with mixed herbs and fresh ground black pepper.



Stuffed with loads of garlic, and more garlic and sweet potato wedges on the pan to elevate the chicken.  I've tried using the rotisserie once but never again.  Although it browned the chickren really nicely and the skin was really crispy, my oven was splattered with oil all over and cleaning up was a chore.  So now, I'll elevate the chicken on some hard/root vegetables and garlic so the chicken doesn't get soaked up in the drippings.

This should go well with lemon but I ran out of it.  Made a trip to the local supermarket to buy some but the shelves were empty!  Not a single lemon to be seen!  Doesn't matter, we just make do with the dried herbs, salt and pepper, it still tasted great.

Mixed Herbs Roast Chicken
Ingredients
1kg chicken
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
Sea salt
Dried mixed herbs
Ground black pepper
Garlic
Butter/olive oil

Method
  1. Wash, clean and pat the chicken dry with paper towels all over, including the cavity.
  2. Rub sea salt all over the chicken and inside the cavity.
  3. Sprinkle dried mixed herbs and ground black pepper over the chicken.
  4. Gently separate the skin and rub the leftover mixture on your fingers onto the chicken breast.
  5. Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Thaw chicken to room temperature (around 30 mins), then brush some olive oil/butter all over chicken.
  7. Stuff as many cloves of garlic into the cavity of the chicken.
  8. Line the roasting pan with aluminium foil (this is for easier clean up later).
  9. Toss the sweet potatoes with some salt, freshly grounded black pepper and olive oil/melted butter.  Arrange the sweet potatoes and balance garlic in a single layer on the prepared pan.
  10. Place the chicken breast side up, on the prepared pan.
  11. Bake in preheated oven of 250C for around 40 mins.  Turn the chicken over and roast for another 15 - 20 mins.
  12. Turn the chicken over again, breast side up, and roast for another 10 - 15 mins, or till chicken is cooked.
  13. Allow to cool for at least 10 mins before serving.

Note
To check if the chicken is cook thoroughly, pierce a satay stick/skewer between the drumstick and the thigh. It is cooked if the juice runs clear.  If there are still streaks of blood (pink liquid), cook the chicken longer.

6 comments:

Shopaholic2802 said...

Looks yummy...making me drool....

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

I love roast chicken and love garlics too ! Your roast chicken looks really yummy and I'm sure your kids love it too

Anonymous said...

Look so tempting. Thank you so much for the recipe.
Jess

DG said...

Your roast chicken looks really delicious :P Yummy :)

shy kitchen said...

This looks good. Have been baking the same style of roast chicken. It's time for a change. Thanks for the recipe.

Blue Bloggie said...

sooooo yummie!!!!!:)